Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average?

1. May 1, 2004 #1
    What does it mean to be average? Isn't it subjective?

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2004 #2
    It's objective when applied to those things which are amenable to statistical analysis. "My IQ is average" means that it's around 100. "My wage is average" means that it's around $40k p/a (in my country). "My height is average" means that it's around 5'8" (in my country again). But, "I'm an average kind of guy" isn't a very objective statement.

4. May 2, 2004 #3
    What does it mean? I wouldn't know. Ask Jimmy p

5. May 2, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

The average person is a complete idiot; therefore, if you are average, you are an idiot. Such examples of average idiots
    -lady leaves poptart in toaster, house starts on fire, she sues Kellogg (this really happened)
    -Aliso Viejo almost banned foam cups because they were made with water (source: Fox News)
    -Around 90% of Americans surveyed support a ban on water (source: dhmo.org)
    -A bb gun I purchased has a warning on it: "aim away from face"

Nobody on this forum is average.

6. May 2, 2004 #5
    Lol...."aim away from face"....lol
    :D :D :D

Is that so they don't get sued?....or for the protection of the 'avergae' person buying the gun?...

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  7. May 2, 2004 #6

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Mostly for protection against lawsuits... but you have to be a retard to aim a BB gun at somebody's face. To give you an idea of how powerful a BB gun is, it can penetrate half an inch of plywood. A BB can rip through a magpie like it's not even there. That's actually why I got that gun, to kill birds that awaken me....

8. May 2, 2004 #7
    Dont you like being woken up by birds? Its even better if they have already cooked breakfast.

9. May 2, 2004 #8
    lol... on the DHMO webpage:

hydrogenhydroxide. Hah!

10. May 2, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

The average person has an IQ less than or equal to that of a glass of water. They also have the personality of mildew. Frequently I spray average people with Lysol but it doesnt seem to stop them from sprouting up.

(well tribdog told you to ask!! hah THAT one backfired didnt it?? :biggrin:)

11. May 3, 2004 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The average family has 2.7 children. Obviously, there is no such thing as a 0.7 child. So from this example you can see that it is quite possible that in a room of 100 people, no one would be "average" in whatever quality was examined.

12. May 3, 2004 #11
    It's a bit like taking all the different colours in a painting, then mixing them up, averaging the colors somhow - and coming up with the 'average' colour in the painting.

Would in No Way represent the panting.

13. May 3, 2004 #12
    Take a the Mona Lisa, swirl it together, and boom: you've got Olive Green.

A masterpiece. Brilliant. Work of Art.

14. May 5, 2004 #13
    I think Olive Green is hot. Didn't she date a couple of sailors?

15. May 6, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Wasnt that Olive Oil?? I would have said she was average. I mean if she can only date Bluto and Popeye, it proves she is no spring chicken

16. May 7, 2004 #15
    well, shiver me timbers, yess, you gots something gainst popeye?

17. May 7, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

well come on, he was a seedy guy. Anyone whose pipe is razor edged to act as an emergency can opener for a can of spinach he just HAPPENS to carry around with him each episode has to have something... well...wrong... with him. Other than that, he has a big chin.

18. May 7, 2004 #17
    "He does not"~Jay Leno

19. May 7, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

who is Jay Leno? Does he have a big chin too? AND it's a "bum chin"... does Jay Leno have a big bum chin?

20. May 7, 2004 #19
    Obviously you wouldn't know, being British... Jay Leno is an extremely famous American comedian who, yes, does have a big 'bum' chin. A very, very big chin. That answer your question, jimmy?

21. May 7, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

yes thanx :biggrin: Just like a sports commentator here... Jimmy Hill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?