Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Averaged Lagrangian and the equations of motion

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Qualitatively: I am trying to decipher a method I've found in the literature, namely Whitham's method. It is a technique used to averaged out "fast variations" in the Lagrangian to then deduce governing equations for the system. I am trying to quantitatively deduce how accurate Whitham's method is, and whether or not it ignores relevant information at higher orders of the small parameter.

Quantitatively: Consider a Lagrangian [itex]L=L(\phi,\eta;x,t)[/itex] where [itex](\phi,\eta)[/itex] represent the dependent variables of the system and (x,t) are the independent variables. We are going to take a WKB expansion of the dependent variables, so that

[itex]\phi = \sum_n a_ne^{i\theta}[/itex] and

[itex]\eta = \sum_n b_n e^{i\theta}[/itex].

We assume [itex] a_n,b_n = f_n(a,a_t,a_x,...) [/itex] so that our new dependent variables are [itex] (a,\theta) [/itex] and possible derivatives on these variables.

It is assumed that the coefficients are [itex] O(\epsilon)[/itex], for small parameter [itex] \epsilon[/itex] and vary slowly in space and time (for instance [itex] a_n = a_n(\epsilon x, \epsilon t) [/itex]) while the phase is [itex]\theta = kx-\omega t + \epsilon \sigma(\epsilon x, \epsilon t) [/itex] for [itex](k,\omega) \in \mathbb{R} [/itex], ie it has a 'fast scale' .

We now define

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} L \ d\theta [/itex].

It is conjectured that variations of this "averaged Lagrangian" [itex] \mathcal{L}[/itex] will then give us our governing equations.

My question is this: What, quantitatively, is the difference between the equations deduced via the condition [itex]\delta L =0 [/itex] and [itex] \delta \mathcal{L} = 0 [/itex] ?

Any suggestion are appreciated. Also, if this is vague or unclear, let me know and I will provide more information/examples.

Thanks,

Nick

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted