Averaged Lagrangian and the equations of motion

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the Whitham's method, which is a technique used to find governing equations for systems with small parameters. The accuracy of this method can be quantitatively assessed by comparing the equations deduced from \delta L = 0 and \delta \mathcal{L} = 0. The difference between these equations indicates how much information is being ignored at higher orders of the small parameter. However, it is important to consider the limitations and assumptions of Whitham's method, as it may not accurately capture all the dynamics of the system.
nickthequick
Hi,

Qualitatively: I am trying to decipher a method I've found in the literature, namely Whitham's method. It is a technique used to averaged out "fast variations" in the Lagrangian to then deduce governing equations for the system. I am trying to quantitatively deduce how accurate Whitham's method is, and whether or not it ignores relevant information at higher orders of the small parameter.

Quantitatively: Consider a Lagrangian [itex]L=L(\phi,\eta;x,t)[/itex] where [itex](\phi,\eta)[/itex] represent the dependent variables of the system and (x,t) are the independent variables. We are going to take a WKB expansion of the dependent variables, so that

[itex]\phi = \sum_n a_ne^{i\theta}[/itex] and

[itex]\eta = \sum_n b_n e^{i\theta}[/itex].

We assume [itex] a_n,b_n = f_n(a,a_t,a_x,...) [/itex] so that our new dependent variables are [itex] (a,\theta) [/itex] and possible derivatives on these variables.

It is assumed that the coefficients are [itex] O(\epsilon)[/itex], for small parameter [itex] \epsilon[/itex] and vary slowly in space and time (for instance [itex] a_n = a_n(\epsilon x, \epsilon t) [/itex]) while the phase is [itex]\theta = kx-\omega t + \epsilon \sigma(\epsilon x, \epsilon t) [/itex] for [itex](k,\omega) \in \mathbb{R} [/itex], ie it has a 'fast scale' .

We now define

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} L \ d\theta [/itex].

It is conjectured that variations of this "averaged Lagrangian" [itex] \mathcal{L}[/itex] will then give us our governing equations.

My question is this: What, quantitatively, is the difference between the equations deduced via the condition [itex]\delta L =0 [/itex] and [itex] \delta \mathcal{L} = 0 [/itex] ?

Any suggestion are appreciated. Also, if this is vague or unclear, let me know and I will provide more information/examples.

Thanks,

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Nick,

Whitham's method is a powerful technique for finding governing equations for systems with small parameters, such as in your case where the coefficients are O(\epsilon). It has been widely used in various fields of physics and has been shown to be accurate in many cases.

To quantitatively assess the accuracy of Whitham's method, you can compare the equations deduced from \delta L = 0 and \delta \mathcal{L} = 0. The difference between these equations would give you an idea of how much information is being ignored at higher orders of the small parameter. In general, the smaller the difference, the more accurate Whitham's method is.

However, it is important to note that Whitham's method is an approximation and may not capture all the dynamics of the system. In some cases, higher order terms may be necessary to fully describe the system. It is also possible that the averaged equations from \delta \mathcal{L} = 0 may not be valid for all values of the small parameter \epsilon. Therefore, it is always important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of Whitham's method in your specific system.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification. Good luck with your research!

1. What is an Averaged Lagrangian?

An Averaged Lagrangian is a modification of the traditional Lagrangian function used in classical mechanics, which takes into account the effects of external or environmental forces on a system. It is used to describe the motion of a system over a long period of time, taking into account all possible paths and their associated probabilities.

2. Why is the Averaged Lagrangian important in physics?

The Averaged Lagrangian is important because it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the dynamics of a system, taking into account external influences that may affect its behavior. This is especially useful in complex systems where the traditional Lagrangian may not be sufficient to describe the motion.

3. How is the Averaged Lagrangian used to derive equations of motion?

The Averaged Lagrangian is used in the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes is the one which minimizes the total action (or energy) over a given time period. From this principle, the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion can be derived, providing a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of a system.

4. What is the difference between the traditional Lagrangian and the Averaged Lagrangian?

The traditional Lagrangian only takes into account internal forces within a system, while the Averaged Lagrangian also considers external forces. This makes the Averaged Lagrangian more applicable to real-world systems where external influences cannot be ignored.

5. Can the Averaged Lagrangian be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the Averaged Lagrangian can be applied to any system that can be described using the Lagrangian formalism, including mechanical, electrical, and fluid systems. However, it may not be suitable for systems with highly chaotic behavior or those that involve quantum effects.