Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Averages over infinite sets

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    The set of all functions is larger than [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex].
    So lets say I wanted to average over all functions over some given region. that was
    larger than [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] how would I do that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Define what you mean by "average". The word is pretty much useless in mathematics.

4. Jun 3, 2013 #3
    add them all up and then divide by the total number.

5. Jun 3, 2013 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That doesn't define a particular mathematical procedure unless you can define "add" and "divide" in your context.

The problem of defining an "average" of all the real numbers seems conceptually simpler and I don't know of any useful definition for such an average.

Some people use the term "average" to mean "expectation". If you have a particular probability distribution on the set of all real numbers, the "expectation" of that distribution is defined. Some people use the term "average" to mean the "mean value" of a finite sample of data or the "expectation" of a probability distribution.

6. Jun 3, 2013 #5
    Technically the set of all functions does not exist. It is to big to be a set.

If you mean real valued functions, while the above post is completely correct, I think the answer you want is f(x) = 0. If you sum every function, I believe you will get 0 because for every f(x) there exists g(x) = -f(x)

7. Jun 3, 2013 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I don't think symmetry directs us to a particular answer. For every function h(x) = there is a function g(x) = 5 - h(x) so by the same reasoning, the answer would be the function f(x) = 5.

8. Jun 3, 2013 #7
    Good point. I am pretty sure 0 is still going to be the best answer but I have to consider the problem more thoroughly.

Edit: The answer will probably be 0 assuming there is some sort of reasonable answer at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook