Averge orbital distance of electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the average distance between orbitals or energy states using the wave function and calculating the expectation value for ##(\vec r_2 - \vec r_1)^2##. It is also mentioned that <r1 - r2> is zero by symmetry, and all powers of ##(\vec r_2 - \vec r_1)## should be considered to obtain moments of the distribution.
Iceking20
TL;DR Summary
Is there anyway to calculate average distance of electrons?
Summary: Is there anyway to calculate average distance of electrons?

I know that we use wave function for orbital to show the probability of finding but my question is there any way to calculate distance between orbitals or energy states?

Physics news on Phys.org
One can certainly calculate the expectation value for r2-r1

hutchphd said:
One can certainly calculate the expectation value for r2-r1
I suggest calculating ##(\vec r_2 - \vec r_1)^2## to make the result more interesting.

Likes HomogenousCow
Yes I should have explicitly said all powers thereof to get moments of the distribution...thank you.

I think the point mfb was making is that <r1 - r2> is zero by symmetry.

Likes mfb

1. What is the average orbital distance of electrons?

The average orbital distance of electrons is approximately 0.53 angstroms (or 0.053 nanometers) from the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is the average orbital distance of electrons calculated?

The average orbital distance of electrons is calculated by taking the sum of the distances of all the electrons from the nucleus and dividing it by the total number of electrons in the atom.

3. Does the average orbital distance of electrons vary for different elements?

Yes, the average orbital distance of electrons can vary for different elements. It depends on the number of protons in the nucleus and the number of electrons in the atom.

4. How does the average orbital distance of electrons affect an atom's properties?

The average orbital distance of electrons plays a significant role in determining an atom's properties. It affects the size of the atom, its reactivity, and its ability to form chemical bonds with other atoms.

5. Can the average orbital distance of electrons change?

Yes, the average orbital distance of electrons can change. It can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric fields, as well as internal factors such as changes in the atom's electron configuration.