Avg and instantaneous accel question

• Thread starter missrikku
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand involves a particle with an initial velocity of (3.00i) m/s and a constant acceleration of (-1.00i - 0.500j) m/s^2. The question is asking for the particle's velocity and position vector at its maximum x coordinate. It is reasonable to assume that at the maximum x value, the x component of the velocity is 0 as the particle is at a turning point. This is not an assumption, but a necessary condition for the particle to be at its maximum x value.
missrikku
hello again,

I am having trouble with this problem:

A particle leaves the origin with an initial velocity v = (3.00i) m/s and a constant acceleration a = (-1.00i - 0.500j) m/s^2. When the particle reaches its max x coordinate, what are a)it's velocity and b) its position vector.

Am I to assume that at the max the v = 0 m/s? That means I've got to assume that the motion is a parabola, but I don't think that I have enough information to assume that. Or do I? I would just like to know how to start this problem out. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think considering at max x, the x component of v (but not neccessarily the y!) to be zero is pretty reasonable, as you are looking for turning points.

If v> 0 then the particle is still moving to the right: it's not yet at it's maximum x value.

If v< 0 then is already moving to the left: it's coming back from it's maximum x value.

In either case, the particle is not AT it's maximum x value.

In order to be AT it's maximum x value, the particle's speed MUST be 0- that's not an "assumption"!

1. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Can you give an example of instantaneous acceleration?

Imagine a car traveling at a constant speed of 60 km/h. Suddenly, the driver steps on the gas pedal and the car accelerates to 80 km/h in 5 seconds. At the exact moment the car reaches 80 km/h, its instantaneous acceleration is 4 km/h/s (80-60/5).

4. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that an object with a constant acceleration will change its velocity by the same amount every second. If the acceleration is positive, the object's velocity will increase, and if the acceleration is negative, the object's velocity will decrease.

5. Why is acceleration important in physics?

Acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It is also a key factor in many real-world applications such as transportation, sports, and engineering. Understanding acceleration allows us to make predictions and calculations that can help us solve problems and improve technology.