1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avg force produced by gasoline

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "One gallon of gasoline contains 3.1*10^7 calories of potential energy that are released during combustion. If 1 gal of gasoline can provide the force that moves a car through a displacement of 25 mi, what is the average force produced by the gasoline?"

2. Relevant equations
    This is where I am confused. All of the equations I can think of for average force require velocities, mass, time, etc. and I don't see how to get from here to there. Right now I am just using 1 cal = 4.18 Joules and 1 mi = 1609.3 m.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assuming complete efficiency,
    3.1*10^7 cal / 25 mi = 1.24 * 10^6 cal / mi
    then multiply that by 4.18 Joules/1 cal and by 1 mi/1609.3 m to get 3220.8 J/m (or N).

This could of course be multiplied back out to "work", but that strikes strikes me as circular. I just don't know if the answer I have is reasonable/what the question wants, since it's flagged as difficult and I haven't done anything but convert units. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

See what you can do with: work = force * distance.

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks, that was what the professor said too. As far as I can tell though work=f*d was already accounted for when I averaged calories/mile. In any case, this was the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook