Calculate the avg speed for the ENTIRE trip.

• Thread starter physicsnobrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: In this case, the total distance traveled is 200km (100km to school + 100km back to home) and the total time is 1 hour and 42 minutes (1 hour for the first 100km + 42 minutes for the second 100km). Therefore, the average speed for the entire trip is 200km / 1.7 hours = 117.65 km/h.
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

A car travels to home from school. For the first 100km it travels 100km/h and for the rest of trip travels 50km/hr and completes the trip in 1 hr and 42 min. Calculate the avg speed for the ENTIRE trip.

Homework Equations

Average Speed=∑i|d/Δttotal

The Attempt at a Solution

It's asking for the entire trip so we assume it comes back home.

In this case is avg speed = 0 because the displacement was 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like an incomplete text. Is this the actual text or a "summary"?

nasu said:
It looks like an incomplete text. Is this the actual text or a "summary"?

I'm just wondering if it is correct

Aha, you modified the text.
Now it makes sense. And you can calculate the average speed.
The trip is exactly what they say: from school to home.
Calculate the total distance traveled and divide by the total time.
It may some room for interpretation when they say "completes the trip in 1 h and 42 min".
He did the first 100 km (in 1h) and then it takes another 1h 42min to finish the trip?
Or he completed the whole trip in 1 h and 42 min, which will leave 42 min for the portion traveled with 50 km/h.

so what I said is wrong? We have to assume they came from home to school. The actual question bolds the words "entire trip"

physicsnobrain said:
so what I said is wrong? We have to assume they came from home to school. The actual question bolds the words "entire trip"
No, this is not a valid assumption. No info is given for the home to school trip. And besides, average velocity and average speed are not the same when traveling round trip. By the ENTIRE trip it means both sections of the one way trip from school to home.

so then the avg speed would be 75 km/h

Average speed is not the average of the two speeds. You need to use the formula you wrote yourself. Total distance/total time.

nasu said:
Average speed is not the average of the two speeds. You need to use the formula you wrote yourself. Total distance/total time.

Forgive me guys, this was a test question I'm just going off memory. But a friend told me that it said the person drove from home.

So then the entire trip would be to the school and back.

If this is the case, then is the avg speed 0m/s?

physicsnobrain said:
Forgive me guys, this was a test question I'm just going off memory. But a friend told me that it said the person drove from home.

So then the entire trip would be to the school and back.

If this is the case, then is the avg speed 0m/s?
If the person drove from home to school and back to home, the average velocity (total displacement divided by total time) would be 0. Average speed is total distance traveled divided by total time.

1. How do I calculate the average speed for the entire trip?

To calculate the average speed for the entire trip, you will need to know the total distance traveled and the total time it took to complete the trip. Then, you can use the formula: Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time.

2. What units should I use for the distance and time in the average speed calculation?

The units used for distance and time in the formula for average speed should be consistent. For example, if you use kilometers for distance, you should also use hours for time. This will ensure that the average speed is calculated in the appropriate units (kilometers per hour).

3. Can I use the average speed calculation for any type of trip?

Yes, the average speed calculation can be used for any type of trip, whether it is a road trip, a flight, or even a hike. As long as you have the total distance and time, you can calculate the average speed for the entire trip.

4. Is average speed the same as constant speed?

No, average speed and constant speed are not the same. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time, while constant speed means that the object is moving at the same speed throughout the entire trip.

5. Can I use the average speed to determine the exact speed at any given moment during the trip?

No, the average speed only gives you the overall speed for the entire trip. It cannot be used to determine the exact speed at any specific moment during the trip. To determine the speed at a specific moment, you would need to know the distance and time at that specific moment.