Average Velocity of a Runner in 1500m Race

In summary, the question is poorly worded and confusing, making it difficult to accurately determine the average velocity of the runner. It is possible that a typo or mistake was made in the question, as it is not possible for a runner to complete a 1500 meter race on a 400 meter track and have an average velocity of 0 m/s. Further clarification from the teacher may be needed to accurately solve this problem.
bionut

Homework Statement

What is the average velocity of a runner whose 400 meter lap times are 60, 75, 65 and 60 seconds over a 1500 meter race?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is I use v=d/t (would the displacement be 0m beacuse he completed 1 lap?

Im a bit confused will I need to average out the 4 times? then divide by 1500m?

Physics news on Phys.org
bionut said:

Homework Statement

What is the average velocity of a runner whose 400 meter lap times are 60, 75, 65 and 60 seconds over a 1500 meter race?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is I use v=d/t (would the displacement be 0m beacuse he completed 1 lap?

Im a bit confused will I need to average out the 4 times? then divide by 1500m?
This question is horrendously worded. If the runner completed four laps of a 400m track, then he would have traveled 1600m, not 1500m. I'm not sure if the last timing refers to the final 300m, or implied that the runner continued for an additional 100m after the race had finished. If it is the former, then the question can be answered (even though it is badly defined). If it is the latter, then the question cannot be answered.

Could you seek clarification from your teacher?

sorry, yes that is the questions I understood it as each 400m lap he psoted those times... therefore will I need to average out the 4 times and work out the average velocity over a 1500m race?? So confused...

bionut said:
sorry, yes that is the questions I understood it as each 400m lap he psoted those times... therefore will I need to average out the 4 times and work out the average velocity over a 1500m race?? So confused...
If those times are indeed the 400m lap-times, then the question cannot be answered, in my opinion.

I agree... but apprently the answer is 0m/s...

bionut said:
I agree... but apprently the answer is 0m/s...
Over a 1600m race, that could be the case. However, over a 1500m race on a 400m track, that cannot possibly be the case. There is no way that a runner can start and finish a 1500m race at the same point on a 400m track.

bionut said:
What is the average velocity …

Hey guys!

Read the question!

average velocity, not average speed! :rolleyes:

yes but avg velocity = change n dispalcement over chnage in time...

so his displacemnt = 0 ... but his chnage in time?

tiny-tim said:
Hey guys!

Read the question!

average velocity, not average speed! :rolleyes:

Hi tt,

I did read the question. However, if the runner is running on a 400m track, there is no way he can start and finish a 1500m race at the same point in space.

hi bionut! :smile:
bionut said:

if his change in https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=378" is 0, then the change in time doesn't matter, does it? :wink:
Hootenanny said:
Hi tt,

I did read the question. However, if the runner is running on a 400m track, there is no way he can start and finish a 1500m race at the same point in space.

Hi Hoot! :smile:

Well, the answer is 0 m/s, so he must have done it somehow! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi Hoot! :smile:

Well, the answer is 0 m/s, so he must have done it somehow! :biggrin:

Grrr... I hate idiot teachers who sent idiotic questions. :grumpy:

bionut said:
Could a typo be the culprit? Could that be a 1600 meter race? (How do you get four 400 m laps to add to 1500 m?)

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of the rate of change in an object's position over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Although they both measure the rate of change in an object's position, average velocity also takes direction into account, while average speed does not. Average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

What factors affect the average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race?

The average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the runner's physical abilities, their training and technique, the track surface, weather conditions, and any obstacles on the track.

How is the average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race calculated?

The average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race is calculated by dividing the total distance (1500m) by the total time it took the runner to complete the race. This will give the average velocity in meters per second.

What is the significance of knowing the average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race?

Knowing the average velocity of a runner in a 1500m race can provide valuable information about their performance and help track their progress. It can also be used to compare different runners or races, and can be used to make predictions about future races.