Calculate Avg. Water Velocity in Pipe from Well

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the average velocity of water being pumped from a well into a storage tank. The volume of water, time, and area of the pipe are given, but the equation needed to solve the problem is not known. The conversation also briefly mentions a separate problem involving a paratrooper falling into snow and the minimum depth of snow needed to safely stop him.
Izmad

Homework Statement

Water is pumped into a storage tank from a well delivering 17.0 gallons of water in 29.0 seconds through a pipe of 1.00 in.^2 cross-sectional area. What is the average velocity of the water in the pipe as the water is pumped from the well?

A=1in^2

the answer should be in inches/second.

I converted 17gal./s. to 22m^3/s = 866.14in^3/s, but I'm not sure what equation i need to use to get started.

Some assistance getting started would be appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Volume of water = area of cross section of pipe x length of the water tube.
Therefore V/s = Area x L/s

In February 1955, a paratrooper fell 370 m from an airplane without being able to open his chute but happened to land in snow, suffering only minor injuries. Assume that his speed at impact was 58 m/s (terminal speed), that his mass (including gear) was 85 kg, and that the force on him from the snow was at the survivable limit of 1.2 105 N.

(a) What is the minimum depth of snow that would have stopped him safely?

?m

(b) What is the magnitude of the impulse on him from the snow?

? kg·m/s

can some one HELP ME ON THIS PROBLEM?

I didn't understand rl.bhat's explanation. What's V/s? Also the length of tube is NOT given. Can someone explain please?
Thanks

v/s is velocity over displacement.

no volume/seconds

Average velocity = (Volume/Second)/Area
You have calculated volume of water. Time is given. Find the average velocity.

yup L/S is the velocity like how rl.bhat put it in the second post.

1. What is the formula for calculating average water velocity in a pipe from a well?

The formula for calculating average water velocity in a pipe from a well is velocity = flow rate / cross-sectional area. This means that the velocity of the water is equal to the flow rate divided by the area of the pipe.

2. How do I determine the flow rate for calculating average water velocity?

The flow rate can be determined by measuring the volume of water that flows through the pipe in a given amount of time. This can be done using a flow meter or by measuring the time it takes to fill a known volume container.

3. What units should be used for calculating average water velocity?

The units used for calculating average water velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

4. Can I calculate average water velocity in a pipe from a well without knowing the pipe's cross-sectional area?

No, the cross-sectional area of the pipe is a crucial component in the calculation of average water velocity. It can be determined by measuring the diameter or radius of the pipe and using the formula for the area of a circle.

5. How can I use the calculated average water velocity in a pipe from a well?

The calculated average water velocity can be used to determine the efficiency of the pipe system, identify any potential blockages or restrictions, and determine the appropriate pipe size and flow rate for optimal performance.