Investigating Aviation Fuel Spoilage: Understanding the Plot Hole in Battlefield Earth

In summary, there is a plot hole in the movie Battlefield Earth where it is mentioned that aviation fuel spoils after a few years, making it impossible to fuel aircraft that have been stored for 1,000 years. The question is raised as to why the fuel spoils and it is suggested that it may be due to the kerosene going bad. However, it is pointed out that kerosene is a hydrocarbon and should not go bad unless exposed to UV light or eaten by certain types of bacteria. A link is provided that explains what happens to gasoline and it is proposed that the same process may occur with kerosene, but at a slower rate. It is also noted that car gasoline decays faster than kerosene
SkepticJ
Number of weeks back I was reading in Wikipedia on plot holes in movies, one of the mentioned plot holes is in an awful movie I'm going to do my best to avoid: Battlefield Earth. But I digress. The plot hole, among others, is aviation fuel spoils after a few years, so it would be impossible to fuel aircraft on some stored for 1,000.

My question is why does it spoil? Is it the kerosene that goes bad, or something else? If the kerosene, why does it go bad? Just a hydrocarbon, unless it's bombarded by UV light, I don't see why it should ever go bad. Nothing really eats it, yet, except perhaps some kind of GM bacterium.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here is a link that explains what happens to Gasoline I would think the same process happens to kerosene just at a slower rate.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060825.html

Hmmm, that makes sense. Plus car gas would decay faster than kerosene since oxidizers are mixed into gas to make it burn better. Not sure if kerosene-based aviation fuel has this done as well--I've found no mention of it.

1. What is the plot hole in Battlefield Earth related to aviation fuel spoilage?

The plot hole in Battlefield Earth is related to the fact that despite being set in a post-apocalyptic world where resources are scarce, the main characters are able to fly a Harrier jet without any issues. This is unrealistic because aviation fuel is highly perishable and would have likely spoiled after so many years without proper storage and maintenance.

2. How does aviation fuel spoilage occur?

Aviation fuel spoilage occurs when the fuel comes into contact with water, bacteria, or other contaminants. These can cause the fuel to degrade, form deposits, and develop a foul odor. This can significantly affect the performance and safety of the aircraft using the fuel.

3. What are the consequences of using spoiled aviation fuel?

The consequences of using spoiled aviation fuel can range from minor performance issues to catastrophic engine failure. The fuel may not burn efficiently, leading to decreased engine power and increased fuel consumption. In extreme cases, the fuel can cause damage to the engine, resulting in a potentially dangerous situation for the aircraft and its passengers.

4. How can we prevent aviation fuel spoilage?

To prevent aviation fuel spoilage, proper storage and handling procedures must be followed. This includes storing the fuel in a dry, cool, and dark environment, regularly checking for water contamination, and using fuel additives to inhibit bacterial growth. Regular maintenance and testing of the fuel can also help identify and prevent spoilage.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to aviation fuel spoilage?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to aviation fuel spoilage, such as the type of fuel, the age of the fuel, and the storage conditions. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to sunlight can also affect the rate of spoilage. It is important to consider all of these factors when investigating aviation fuel spoilage.