1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avogadro's Theory

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question might sound confusing, because my teacher said it only once, and I don't think I have it down right. So if the question is confusing but you know what I'am trying to get at, please say so. The question is: According to Avogadro's Theory, how are the number of molecules and atoms related in a chemical equation?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't think equations are necessary.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the number of molecules would be the same as the number of atoms in a chemical equation, but I'am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    I think I understand your question

Avogadro's number = 6.022 x 10^23 "things" = 1 mole

1.the "things" may be ATOMS if the substance is an ELEMENT

so 6.022 x 10^23 "ATOMS" = 1 mole of an ELEMENT

2. the "things" may be MOLECULES if the substance is a COMPOUND (molecular to be precise)

so 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" = 1 mole of an COMPOUND

For the equation:

Si + O2 ---> SiO2

1 mol Si + 1 mol O2 ---> 1 mol SiO2

6.022 x 10^23 "ATOMS" Si + 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" O2 ---> 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" SiO2

If this is not what you mean, then pls ask again, it may be related to the other aspect of Avogadro's principle of gases and equal volumes of gases = equal volumes of moles

(my example is just to illustrate the point, even though also SiO2 really exists as a network solid so its stretching it a bit to think of it as a single molecule)

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the explanation. You cleared up a lot of the confusion I had. Can you also explain the other aspect of Avogadro's principle of gases and equal volumes of gases = equal volumes of moles that you mentioned please?

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    glad you got the first part

Avogadro's principle (this he really did - Avogadro's number he never calculated - they just honored him with it since the Principle led others to the huge number)

Comparing gases AT THE SAME TEMP AND PRESSURE (same conditions - not necessarily at STP) in a reaction mixture...

- the volume of Gas A will have the same number of molecules (or can say moles) of Gas B if Gas B has the with the same volume as Gas A

Classic example:

H2 + Cl2 ---> 2HCl

coefficients 1 1 2
    volumes (eg. in L) 1L 1L 2L
    molecules/mole 1 1 2

or N2 + 3H2 ---> 2NH3

coefficients 1 3 2
    volumes (eg. in L) 1L 3L 2L
    molecules/mole 1 3 2

so we can predict the volumes of gases using stoichiometry

just remember this works ONLY if the gases are under the same conditions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?