Choosing the Right Academic Advisor: Tips for Avoiding Potential Pitfalls

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary: Ask around to see if there is a committee or advisor you could go to for help. In summary, it is important to choose an adviser who will be a good mentor, not someone who is solely focused on gaining tenure. It is also important to talk to other graduate students, put effort into defining your expectations, and be aware of the risks and advantages of each potential supervisor.
gravenewworld
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid falling into the trap of wrongly choosing an academic advisor that is more about their own ego than actually mentoring a graduate student? My worst nightmare is applying to grad school, choosing the wrong professor to study under, and simply getting used for someone else's gain. I have read that one good strategy to avoid this is by not picking any assistant professors since they are trying to gain tenure, is this true? I want to be sure I pick a mentor and not a tormentor. The one professor that seems to keep hounding me about my application (since he seems to like my resume) is an assistant professor. He said on average it takes students in his lab 6-6.5 years to complete their PhD which seems awfully long to me, and I am very skeptical about his intentions. Is he trying to use the students he has as much as possible to gain tenure, or is his research really that intense? I feel kind of lost on how to pick the right advisor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid falling into the trap of wrongly choosing an academic advisor that is more about their own ego than actually mentoring a graduate student?

Talk to the advisers other graduate students. Also it helps to be on good terms with the department secretary. Ultimately choosing an adviser is like choosing a roommate or a boy/girlfriend.

I have read that one good strategy to avoid this is by not picking any assistant professors since they are trying to gain tenure, is this true?

No it's not.

(1) If possible, delay making a supervisor choice immediately. You'll be concentrating on coursework in the first couple semesters anyway. Some schools may not allow you to do this, but if it's an option I would take some time to chose. If you do have to chose quickly, keep in mind that you can change before you really get going.

(2) Talk to more than one potential supervisor. Even if you have someone who you think will be a good fit, it's worth at least talking to some others.

(3) Talk to other graduate students - both those whom the supervisor has worked with and those with other supervisors.

(4) Put a lot of effort into defining both of your expectations. Outline your project. Agree on how frequently you are expected to meet. Find out how your progress will be evaluated.

(5) With any supervisor there will be advantages and disadvantages. For example chosing a younger assistant professor who hasn't had many graduate students will carry some risks with the person's inexperience, but it is also likely that he or she will have a stronger interest in your project and seeing you succeed than the older professors who have to split their time between a dozen different students every week on top of other duties.

(6) Supervisory committees exist to keep anyone professor from being 'all powerful' in determining the student's direction.

1. How can I identify and avoid falling prey to academia sharks?

To avoid academia sharks, it is important to be aware of their tactics and behaviors. These may include making unrealistic promises, pressuring you to publish in predatory journals, and taking credit for your work. Additionally, do your research on potential mentors and collaborators before committing to a project or publication.

2. What are some red flags to look out for when working with potential academia sharks?

Some red flags to watch out for when working with potential academia sharks include a lack of transparency, attempts to manipulate or control your research, and a focus on quantity over quality in terms of publications. Also be cautious of individuals who are overly competitive or dismissive of others' work.

3. How can I protect my work and ideas from being exploited by academia sharks?

One way to protect your work and ideas is by being selective about who you collaborate with and what information you share. Consider having collaborators sign non-disclosure agreements, and make sure to clearly establish authorship and ownership rights before beginning a project.

4. What should I do if I suspect that I am working with an academia shark?

If you suspect that you are working with an academia shark, it is important to document any concerning behaviors or interactions. This can help you build a case if needed. Consider seeking advice from trusted colleagues or a mentor, and be prepared to distance yourself from the individual if necessary.

5. Are there any resources or organizations that can help me avoid academia sharks?

Yes, there are several resources and organizations that can provide guidance and support in avoiding academia sharks. These may include your institution's research integrity office, professional organizations in your field, and online communities where researchers share their experiences and advice. Additionally, resources such as the Think. Check. Submit. initiative can help you identify reputable journals to publish in.