Avoiding electronics as a photonical engineer

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in studying photonics at the university of Ghent, but their dislike for electronics. They ask if there are ways to continue studying photonics without having to learn a lot of electronics, and if it is necessary for their future career. The other person suggests focusing on solid state or computational physics, and mentions the possibility of doing a master thesis at imec.be. They also mention the importance of strong basics in electronics for experimental condensed matter physics. The conversation ends with the speaker discussing their laziness and mentioning two people they know from the university.
Tsunami
I've just been browsing the courses I'm going to get here in Ghent if I apply for photonics next year. There's one major subject at least that revolves around electronics, sensors, actuators etc.

Now: I really really hate electronics. Really. I'm not really practical with them, probably because my spatial memory is awful. But I love love love photonics... so I was wondering, is there any way I can continue studying photonics, without having to learn too much of that electronic stuff... I'm willing to struggle myself through it all, but will I need it a lot in my future career, or are there ways to avoid such a thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you study at the university of Ghent ?

i went there also. I suppose you study burgerlijk ingenieur natuurkunde : optie photonica...

ps : if you are not really into electronics, i suggest you go for the solid state part or the computational physics part (like QM ab initio calculations or visualization technology)

marlon

Tsunami,

how about doing your master thesis here : http://www.imec.be/

this is where i do my phd...you can check out several options in the field on this site

marlon

As general advise, it is usually very important to have strong basics in electronics - especially if you want to work in experimental condensed matter physics. Inevitably, you will find that you may need to build, fix, design or even simply buy the right electronic components for a piece of instrumentation.

Besides, what an engineer calls electronics is what a physicist calls solid state physics combined with Electrodynamics

marlon

I don't know, photonics seems to be my kind of thing... maybe I should just get past my laziness... and the terrible teaching of Van Calster (if you studied at Ghent that might ring a bell marlon?).

Tsunami, are you Tijl or Jens ?

marlon

Tijl Schmelzer? Ken ik wel... en Jens kan ik ook wel apprecieren...

Tsunami said:
Tijl Schmelzer? Ken ik wel... en Jens kan ik ook wel apprecieren...

euuh, wat is uw naam. Ik denk niet dat ik U ken...

Nikolaas

1. How can I reduce my exposure to electronics as a photonical engineer?

As a photonical engineer, it is important to limit your exposure to electronics in order to avoid potential health risks. Some ways to reduce exposure include using hands-free devices, keeping a safe distance from electronic devices, and taking breaks from using electronics throughout the day.

2. Are there any specific types of electronics that I should avoid as a photonical engineer?

While it may not be possible to completely avoid electronics in your field, it is important to limit your exposure to certain types of devices such as smartphones, laptops, and other wireless devices. These devices emit high levels of electromagnetic radiation which can be harmful to your health.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with prolonged exposure to electronics for photonical engineers?

Prolonged exposure to electronics can lead to a variety of health risks including headaches, fatigue, eye strain, and sleep disturbances. Long-term exposure has also been linked to more serious health issues such as cancer, reproductive problems, and neurological disorders.

4. How can I protect myself from the harmful effects of electronics as a photonical engineer?

In addition to limiting your exposure to electronics, there are other ways to protect yourself from their harmful effects. This includes using protective devices such as shields or cases, taking frequent breaks from using electronics, and incorporating other healthy habits into your routine such as exercise and proper nutrition.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines in place to protect photonical engineers from the potential dangers of electronics?

Currently, there are no specific regulations or guidelines in place for photonical engineers in regards to electronic exposure. However, many organizations and companies have implemented their own safety measures to protect their employees, and it is always important to follow safety protocols and guidelines provided by your employer.