Avoid Getting Ill: Will It Weaken Immunity?

• Thread starter Fritz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between taking precautions to prevent illness and the strength of the immune system. It also brings up the idea that a too-clean environment may actually weaken our immune systems. The conversation also touches on the topic of eating dropped food and whether it is safe, with the general consensus being that it is fine as long as it is not in a dirty environment.
Fritz
If I take precautions to prevent myself from getting ill, will my immune system weaken to a point where it is highly likely that I'll get ill when exposed to any bacteria or virus (if I actually manage to avoid getting sick for a period of years)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm feeling slightly nauseous now.

Does your immune system strenghthen (or maintain) whenever you get ill?

There seems to be a fair bit of evidence monting that the growth in Allergies, ashma and similar diseases are partly due to the clean environment we live in. The Immune system has little to do and attacks the body instead!

Eat dirt, don't wash, live long!

I am a bodybuilder and therefore eat eight times per day. Consequently, I frequently drop food on the ground and eat it. Is this okay?

Fritz said:
I am a bodybuilder and therefore eat eight times per day. Consequently, I frequently drop food on the ground and eat it. Is this okay?

Consequently? How does being a body builder and eating 8 times a day make you drop food on the ground a lot? Anyway, 3 second rule says if you pick it up before you can count to 3, it's okay :biggrin: I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a scummy locker room, or standing on a public sidewalk, but if you have a reasonably clean kitchen floor and that's what you drop it on, no big deal, unless you own pets...then eeeeewwww, furry food!

Moonbear said:
eeeeewwww, furry food!
Ohh... it little castor or cod liver oil will move that hairball right along... :rofl: :rofl:

Adrian Baker said:
There seems to be a fair bit of evidence monting that the growth in Allergies, ashma and similar diseases are partly due to the clean environment we live in. The Immune system has little to do and attacks the body instead!

Eat dirt, don't wash, live long!

Yes, it is probably a good thing to get into contact with some "dirt" and not to live in a "too clean" environment. However it is not necessary to become ill from this, just too have contact with it, if you do not get ill from this that is sign that your imunne system is doing well, that it is dealing with the bacteria without affecting your whole system so much that you get sick.

Moonbear said:
Consequently? How does being a body builder and eating 8 times a day make you drop food on the ground a lot?

Because:

a) I eat more than twice as rrequently as other people.

b) Because of a), I have to eat in when I'm doing other things (like walking between classes). This makes it easier to drop food.

1. What are some ways to avoid getting ill?

Some ways to avoid getting ill include washing your hands regularly, practicing good hygiene, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine, getting enough sleep, and avoiding contact with sick individuals.

2. Will constantly avoiding germs weaken my immunity?

No, avoiding germs and practicing good hygiene will actually strengthen your immunity. When you come into contact with germs, your body produces antibodies that help fight off future infections.

3. Can stress weaken my immunity?

Yes, chronic stress can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to illnesses. It is important to manage stress levels through relaxation techniques, exercise, and seeking support from others.

4. How can I boost my immune system?

You can boost your immune system by maintaining a healthy lifestyle, eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep, and reducing stress. Supplements such as vitamin C and zinc may also help boost your immune system.

5. Should I avoid all contact with sick individuals to stay healthy?

It is not necessary to avoid all contact with sick individuals, but it is important to take precautions such as washing your hands and avoiding close contact if possible. If you are feeling ill, it is best to stay home and avoid spreading the illness to others.