Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Awareness poll

1. Higgs doublet

2. GUT

3. Electroweak Bosons

4. 2HDM, or THDM

5. Gluon

6. MSSM

7. SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)

8. Goldstone Boson

9. TOE

10. M-theory

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 25, 2004 #1

Gold Member

Trying to known the popularity of some nomenclature between the readers of PF. Please check also the parallel poll in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=242508
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2004 #2
    I have to confess that I hadn't heard about the Higgs doublet and also about the THDM (Two Higgs Doublet model). I hope to have passed the test though :biggrin:

Do you happen to know if the Minimal supersymmetric standard model is actually considered like a viable theory? There's not much discussion about it at PF.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  4. Jun 26, 2004 #3

Gold Member

As far as one can read from the particle data group, it keeps being one of the main theories under consideration. If you go across the evaluation of searches in high energy physics, you will notice that the particles coming from the MSSM are currenntly given more emphasis than, for example, the ones coming from grand unyfied models. For the MSSM a huge range of plots about exclusion areas is done.

In the last year I am afraid that one motivation to dismiss research in the 68 GeV events measured by LEP was -IMHO- that they were not compatible with the minimal supersymmetric model.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?