How can I solve this pulley problem?

In summary, the problem is that the string does not accelerate equally in all directions. There is an easy way to solve the pulleys problem, but the person does not know how to do it.
a_d777
Awesome pulley problem!

Hey, i just came across this pulley problem and thought it was easy to solve...on solving, my answers were not matching...!

Check the attachment...

There is a single string. Ignore the friction.
The mass of the pulleys A, B & C is 1 Kg each.
*ignore the dirty, bad diagram...what else can i do in windows!?*

also post the method of doing...

correct options are a,b & d...

Attachments

• phy.JPG
    phy.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
No fair! Misleading title! I'm going to complain to the Mentors!
I came here expecting something about a chicken cannon. :grumpy:

Seriously, though, welcome to PF. Nothing can be done until your attachment is approved.

Your diagram is excellent- just enlarge it. Note that we do require that you show what you have tried yourself and you must try. To get you started, I would recommend you lable the ropes between pulleys (and the forces for each), say x,y,z,u,v,w. I count 6such ropes and so 6 such forces.

Correction. Nothing can be done by non-Mentors, who can't see the attachments until they're approved. :tongue:

hm...

ok, but...
hm...
well, i can't work on my PC so well ...
i mean i can't do high-end editing...Bad in computers...!
i can't even scan the page of my notebook because i don't have a scanner!

well, i will surely post what I've tried...veryy soon...!
and, sorry...
its pulleY...
not pulleT
!

:biggrin:.

Is C fixed?

Have a think as to which are fixed, and (for the start) draw arrows on the diagram indicating which way the string will go.

Danger said:
No fair! Misleading title! I'm going to complain to the Mentors!
I came here expecting something about a chicken cannon. :grumpy:
Yeah, you beat me to it.

s/pullet/pulley/

- Warren

i really [tex]don't[/tex] want to sound stupid but please do attach some points to the cieling(if any) otherwise the system will fall don due to gravity(if any )

anyways just use the fact that in a closed rigid system the tension(internal force) does no work.
since tension on each pulley is known spped hence accelaration of each pulley is known

There's an easy way for solving pulley problems, but I really don't know how to use that method.

make an equation using all ropes distances(find relationships between them), and differentiate them.
anyone knows that method?

yes the constrain t method but that's just mathematical representation of what u think intutively
for example consider the standard pulley problem of two masses say [tex]m_{1}[/tex] and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] hanging on two ends.
now say one get's down by [tex]x[/tex] other by [tex]y[/tex] then since rope length is constsnt we have
[tex]x+y=0[/tex]
differentiating
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{dy}{dt}=0[/tex]
thus [tex]v_{m_{1}}=-v_{m_{2}}[/tex]
differentiating again
[tex]a_{m_{1}}=-a_{m_{2}}[/tex]

I can't do that with more than two pulleys ><

chroot said:
s/pullet/pulley/

You rat! Now my post just looks stupid. :frown:
I'm glad that Dave was a witness to the original title. :tongue:

rootX said:
I can't do that with more than two pulleys ><

what is that u couldn't solve

hey, isn't there things like photoshop and paint? they are good programs that can help you to edit your pictures. try them! =)

Um...correction...!

sorry for the wrong image...well, not wrong...but incomplete...!
The motion of pulleys or strings is not mentioned in the question...

Attachments

• phy.JPG
    phy.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

What is the "Awesome Pulley Problem"?

The Awesome Pulley Problem is a classic physics problem that involves using pulleys to solve for the forces and tensions in a system.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. By redirecting the direction of the force, a pulley can make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

What are the key components of the Awesome Pulley Problem?

The key components of the Awesome Pulley Problem are the weights or masses, the ropes/cables, and the pulleys themselves. These elements are used to create a system where forces and tensions can be calculated and analyzed.

What are some real-world applications of the Awesome Pulley Problem?

The Awesome Pulley Problem has many real-world applications, such as in construction, transportation, and engineering. For example, cranes and elevators use pulley systems to lift heavy loads with ease.

How can I solve the Awesome Pulley Problem?

To solve the Awesome Pulley Problem, you will need to use the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of mechanical advantage. You will also need to use mathematical equations and diagrams to represent the forces and tensions in the system. Practice and understanding of these concepts will help you solve the problem effectively.