1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Awesome Sonic Levitation

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think I had ever seen this effect demonstrated before. Thanks for sharing. I subscribe to Smarter Every Day, and I have gone back and watched a lot of his old videos, but I must've missed this one.

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Don't forget that sound is a longitudinal wave, so rather than "shaking" the air, between the horns, from side to side, it moves it up and down. I assume the "levitated" styrene balls stabilise themselves at a displacement node, where it is calm, a bit like the sand on those Chladni plates.

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Yes, they show that in the video.

6. Jun 9, 2017 #5
    It's interesting though how they are able to do more than one. I could see a single placed object disrupting the shape of the standing wave.

7. Jun 9, 2017 #6

jedishrfu

The placement isnt disrupting the standing wave though because this is the zero point where nothing moves.

8. Jun 9, 2017 #7
    It is, but if you look at the video, the spheres are very sizeable in relation to the wavelength. From some size on, I would think, they will influence the wave itself.

Btw, maybe I missed this in the video, but how do they achieve the horizontal confinement?

9. Jun 9, 2017 #8

jedishrfu

The top and bottom plates vibrate and they have a good sized diameter larger than the balls being suspended.

10. Jun 9, 2017 #9

PeterO

Homework Helper

But the object is not disrupting the standing wave, the standing wave is disrupting the object's normal motion it prevents it from falling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted