Awkward maximisation question

• Thread starter 11thHeaven
  • Start date
In summary: RGR = (4t - 6)(-1/3)t^3 + 6t^2 + 16t + 10In summary, the question asks on what day after the harvest begins should you sell your apples to maximize your revenue. To solve this, you need to determine the selling price per kg and the rate of change of volume of apples. The selling price per kg is given by RGV, and the rate of change of volume of apples is given by RGR. To find the optimal day, you need to differentiate these equations and set the resulting equations equal to 0. This will give
11thHeaven

Homework Statement

Suppose it is the season for harvesting apples. You can earn (-1/3)
t^3 + 6t^2 + 16t + 10 GBP per kilo for the
apples you sell in good condition, where t denotes the number of days from the beginning of the harvest.
However you will lose apples to rot at the rate of 4t - 6 kg/day. On what day after harvest begins should
you sell your apples to maximise your revenue?

The Attempt at a Solution

It might just be because my head isn't working particularly well at the moment, but I can't see exactly what I need to differentiate and how the rate of change of value of apples relates to the rate of change of volume of apples.

Help appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
11thHeaven said:

Homework Statement

Suppose it is the season for harvesting apples. You can earn (-1/3)
t^3 + 6t^2 + 16t + 10 GBP per kilo for the
apples you sell in good condition, where t denotes the number of days from the beginning of the harvest.
However you will lose apples to rot at the rate of 4t - 6 kg/day. On what day after harvest begins should
you sell your apples to maximise your revenue?

The Attempt at a Solution

It might just be because my head isn't working particularly well at the moment, but I can't see exactly what I need to differentiate and how the rate of change of value of apples relates to the rate of change of volume of apples.

Help appreciated :)

Suppose you sell the apples on day t. How many kg of apples do you sell? What is the selling price per kg for those sold apples?

RGV

1. What is an "awkward maximisation question"?

An awkward maximisation question is a type of question that aims to find the maximum value of a certain variable, but is difficult or uncomfortable to answer because it requires the subject to reveal personal information or make difficult decisions.

2. How is an awkward maximisation question different from a regular maximisation question?

An awkward maximisation question differs from a regular maximisation question in that it often involves sensitive or personal topics, making it more challenging for the subject to answer truthfully.

3. Why are awkward maximisation questions used in scientific studies?

Awkward maximisation questions are often used in scientific studies to gather more accurate and honest responses from subjects. By making the questions uncomfortable to answer, researchers hope to bypass social desirability bias and get more truthful answers.

4. What are some examples of awkward maximisation questions?

Examples of awkward maximisation questions include asking individuals about their income, sexual history, or personal beliefs. These topics may make people uncomfortable to answer, but can provide valuable data for researchers.

5. How do scientists ensure ethical considerations when using awkward maximisation questions?

Scientists must follow ethical guidelines when using awkward maximisation questions in their studies. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants, protecting their privacy, and providing support or resources if the questions bring up any distressing emotions.