1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Awwwhelp please

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Could someone help me set up this problem and give some helpful hints.

From what maxium height can a 75-kg person jump without breaking the lower leg bone on either leg? Ignore air resistance and assume the CM of the person moves a distance of .60m from standing to the seated position (that is, in breaking the fall). Assume the breaking strenght (force per unit area) of bone is 170 * 10^6 N/m square, and its smallest crosssectional area is 2.5 * 10^-4 m square.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried it yet?

Conservation of energy.

[tex]\int{Fds} = mgh[/tex]

4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    no, because I need help with the set up for each section...I have been out for a couple days so I don't fully understand the problem. If I knew the equations for each step, I could take it from there.

5. Apr 11, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I more or less gave it to you already.

You know the breaking stress, and the bone's area. Stress is force divided by area. ->solve for force.

You know the force and the distance that force can act on. You know the mass, you know gravity, solve for height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?