Ax≡ay (mod m) iff x≡y (mod m/(a,m))

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
The fact that this is possible is exactly what the theorem is telling you.Secondly, the theorem doesn't say that we can divide the LHS and RHS and the modulus by (a,m). The theorem says that we can divide the LHS and RHS by "a", and divide the modulus by (a,m).That's exactly what's happening. Let me write out the proof with all the variables expanded to make it clearer.Theorem: If ax ≡ ay (mod m) then x ≡ y (mod (m/(a,m)))Proof:ax ≡ ay (mod m)a/x ≡ a/y (mod m) (since a is coprime to m)a/x ≡ a/y
kingwinner
note: (a,m)=gcd(a,m)

Theorem: ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if x≡y (mod m/(a,m))

And then in the middle of a certain proof later on, my textbook says:
Suppose (a,m)|b.
Then BY THE ABOVE THEOREM(?),
ax≡b (mod m) if and only if (a/(a,m))x ≡ b/(a,m) (mod m/(a,m))?

But I don't see exactly why the above theorem will give us this result.
First of all, I don't think on the RHS, b is necessarily a multiple of a.
Secondly, the theorem says we can divide the LHS and RHS by a (not (a,m)), and divide the modulus by (a,m), NOT a. But in that proof, they divide everything by (a,m) which is not what the theorem says.
Could someone please show me how to apply the theorem in a way that will lead us to this result? I really don't see how...

Is it also true that ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if
(a/(a,m))x ≡ (a/(a,m))y (mod m/(a,m))?

I'm confused...
I hope someone can explain this. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you are very confused! Are you clear on what modulo arithmetic itself is? You say " I don't think on the RHS, b is necessarily a multiple of a". Why would you expect it to be? Saying "ax= b (mod m)" does not imply that b is a multiple of 6. Only that ax-b is a multiple of n. For example, if a= 2, b= 5, and m= 7, ax= b (mod m) becomes 2x= 5 (mod 7). That is satisfied by x= 6 because 2(5)= 12= 5+ 7.

kingwinner said:
note: (a,m)=gcd(a,m)

Theorem: ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if x≡y (mod m/(a,m))

And then in the middle of a certain proof later on, my textbook says:
Suppose (a,m)|b.
Then BY THE ABOVE THEOREM(?),
ax≡b (mod m) if and only if (a/(a,m))x ≡ b/(a,m) (mod m/(a,m))?

But I don't see exactly why the above theorem will give us this result.
First of all, I don't think on the RHS, b is necessarily a multiple of a.
Secondly, the theorem says we can divide the LHS and RHS by a (not (a,m)), and divide the modulus by (a,m), NOT a. But in that proof, they divide everything by (a,m) which is not what the theorem says.
Could someone please show me how to apply the theorem in a way that will lead us to this result? I really don't see how...

Is it also true that ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if
(a/(a,m))x ≡ (a/(a,m))y (mod m/(a,m))?

I'm confused...
I hope someone can explain this. Any help is much appreciated!

I think you should be aware that if a = 0 or a factor of m, then you cannot divide a out from the equation ax = ay mod m. For instance 0*5 = 0*7 mod 9 because 5 = 7 mod 1 ,i.e. mod (9/(0,9)) = mod (9/9) = mod 1 but 5 <> 7 mod 9

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Apparently you are very confused! Are you clear on what modulo arithmetic itself is? You say " I don't think on the RHS, b is necessarily a multiple of a". Why would you expect it to be? Saying "ax= b (mod m)" does not imply that b is a multiple of 6. Only that ax-b is a multiple of n. For example, if a= 2, b= 5, and m= 7, ax= b (mod m) becomes 2x= 5 (mod 7). That is satisfied by x= 6 because 2(5)= 12= 5+ 7.
I understand what you're saying for sure.

But the theorem says:
ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if x≡y (mod m/(a,m)).

Firstly, our congruence ax≡b (mod m) here is not of the above form, so why is the theorem even applicable?

Secondly, the theorem doesn't say that we can divide the LHS and RHS and the modulus by (a,m). The theorem says that we can divide the LHS and RHS by "a", and divide the modulus by (a,m).

I hope this clarifies my quesiton.

Firstly, our congruence ax≡b (mod m) here is not of the above form

Actually, it is: you just have to write [tex]a=\left(a,m\right)\times a/\left(a,m/right)[/tex] and
[tex]b=\left(a,m\right)\times b/\left(a,m/right)[/tex].

And we may assume that b is divisible by (a,m) because, otherwise, the congruence

[tex]ax\equiv b\left({\rm mod}m)[/tex]

will not have solutions.

kingwinner said:
I understand what you're saying for sure.

But the theorem says:
ax≡ay (mod m) if and only if x≡y (mod m/(a,m)).

Firstly, our congruence ax≡b (mod m) here is not of the above form, so why is the theorem even applicable?
Actually, it is of that form. It's a little confusing because we're using the same variable names for multiple purposes, so let me color them:
ax=ay (mod m)
ax=b (mod m)​

One way to get a match is by assigning
a = 1
x = ax
y = b

There are lots of trivial modifications you could make to allow you to match the desired form in other ways too.

Last edited:

What does the notation "Ax≡ay (mod m) iff x≡y (mod m/(a,m))" mean?

This notation means that for any integer x and y, if x is congruent to y modulo m, then x is also congruent to y modulo m divided by the greatest common divisor of a and m.

What is the significance of using the greatest common divisor in this notation?

The greatest common divisor is used to ensure that the congruence relation holds for all possible values of x and y. It is necessary for the statement to be true.

How is this notation used in number theory?

This notation is used to prove certain properties and theorems in number theory, such as the Chinese Remainder Theorem. It is also used to simplify and solve equations involving congruences.

Can this notation be applied to any values of a, m, x, and y?

Yes, this notation can be applied to any integer values of a, m, x, and y. However, it is typically used for positive integers.

How does this notation relate to modular arithmetic?

This notation is a part of modular arithmetic, which deals with numbers and operations that are performed using a fixed modulus. It helps to simplify and solve equations involving congruences and modular arithmetic.