1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(AxB).(CxD) = ?

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am following along in a book and in one line the author asserts that

[tex](\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})\cdot(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{D}) = (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C})(\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{D}) - (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{D})(\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{C})\qquad(1)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I believe that he is somehow using the rule that

[tex]\mathbf{A}\times(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C}) = \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C}) - \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B})\qquad(2)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Is this the only rule he is using to arrive at (1) ?
    I am having trouble see how to implement this to arrive at the same result. Am I missing something painfully obvious? :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Did you try to do this in terms of components, i.e. using the definition of the cross and dot product? (Didn't try it myself, only suggesting.)

Edit: although it might get a little messy...

4. May 4, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I would think they'd use this formula as well as this one

[tex]A\cdot (B \times C) = B \cdot (C \times A) = C \cdot (A \times B) [/tex]

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    Ah yes, totally useful :smile:. Seeing as I have, in essence, a scalar triple product I would be hard pressed to start this without that rule :redface:

I have solved it now.

Thanks again! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook