1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axes in spacetime diagrams.

Tags:
  1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the S' axes, x' and ct', are nonorthogonal in a spacetime diagram. Assume that t = t' = 0 when x = x' = 0. (Hint: use the fact that the ct' axis is the world line of the origin of S' to show that the ct' axis is inclined with respect to the ct' axis. Next, note that the world line of a light pulse moving in the +x direction starting out at x = 0 and ct = 0 is described by the equation x = +ct in S and x' = ct' in S').

2. Relevant equations
    -The Lorentz transformations
    -Relativistic velocity transformation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know it isn't much (and maybe foolish), but I felt like I didn't have much to go on about, so I tried trigonometry and somehow obtain an expression for sin not equal to one (or cosine not equal to zero).

All help is appreciated, and thank you in advance! (:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Bro and welcome to PF. Suppose I don't know what S and S' stand for ?
    Also: check the phrase "ct' axis is inclined with respect to the ct' axis".

You may suppose someone wanting to help you is familiar with the Lorentz transformations. My first impression is that you don't need velocity transformation formulas.

The problem asks you to show something in a diagram. So your attempt at a solution should be a diagram or a (fairly detailed, you know: 1 pic = 1k words...) description of a diagram.

There is no reason to feel like you don't have much to go on: this is asking for something you are supposed to have learned in the material preceding the exercise...

I'm turning in, but there are others to help you as well. Help them a little, please!

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3
    Dear BvU,
    I am fortunate enough to have solved it. I thank you for being willing to help. (: The professor solved it in class and it indeed involves some trigonometry.

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4
    do you have the solution. i need it pleaase:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted