How do I calculate the axial deformation of a member given force and dimensions?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a beam, force P, and two outer columns supporting the entire force P. The question asks if the force P is distributed evenly among the bars and how to use the elongation equation to find the width of the gap. The conversation also touches on the concepts of bending moments and beam deflection.
princejan7
---Quote---
*1. Homework Statement *

http://postimg.org/image/yrbu7a0vb/

*2. Homework Equations *

e(elongation of a member) = (Force * Length)/(Area * Young's Modulus)

*3. The Attempt at a Solution *

Is the force P distributed so that the force on each bar is P/3 so that F2 would be (14/3)?

How do I use that value and the elongation equation to find the width of the gap?
I'm not sure what the relationship should be

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In (a), the centre column just avoids contact with the beam, leaving the two outer columns to support the entire force P.

princejan7 said:
Is the force P distributed so that the force on each bar is P/3 so that F2 would be (14/3)?
In part a)? No. When the gap is only just closed, there is not yet any force on the central pillar.
This is a question about bending moments and beam deflection. I don't see where elongation comes in before part b).

haruspex said:
This is a question about bending moments and beam deflection.
I don't think it is. I read it as the rigid beam does not bend.

NascentOxygen said:
I don't think it is. I read it as the rigid beam does not bend.
You're right - sorry. I completely misread it.

What is an axial deformation problem?

An axial deformation problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the changes in shape, size, and movement of a structural component along its axis. This is often seen in materials such as beams, columns, or rods that are subjected to axial loads, such as tension or compression.

What causes axial deformation?

Axial deformation is caused by the application of external forces that act along the axis of a structural component. These forces can cause the component to elongate or shorten, resulting in changes in its shape and dimensions. Examples of applied forces include pulling or pushing on a rod, or the weight of a building on its columns.

How is axial deformation measured?

Axial deformation is typically measured using strain, which is the change in length of the structural component divided by its original length. This can be expressed as a percentage or in units of length, such as inches per inch. Strain can be measured using strain gauges or by monitoring the change in length using displacement sensors.

What are the effects of axial deformation?

The effects of axial deformation depend on the material and the amount of deformation. In general, axial deformation can cause changes in the structural integrity of a component, leading to failures such as buckling or collapse. It can also affect the performance and functionality of the structure, such as reducing its load-carrying capacity or causing vibrations.

How can axial deformation problems be solved?

Axial deformation problems can be solved using various analytical and computational methods. These include mathematical equations, computer simulations, or physical experiments. The specific approach will depend on the complexity of the problem and the accuracy required. In some cases, a combination of methods may be used to obtain the most accurate solution.