Axial Flux PMG Testing for 100W Wind Turbine - William

In summary, the speaker has completed a project of a axial flux permanent magnet DC generator for a 100W wind turbine and is now looking to determine the full power curve at different rpms. They have been running tests on the generator with no load and using a lathe machine as a prime mover, but are now looking for a simple experiment to determine the power output and what kind of load to use. Some helpful data about the generator's stator is provided. The speaker suggests using a 12V lead acid car battery for testing, as it can tolerate a wide range of voltage and accept high charge rates. The speaker also advises enclosing the battery in a battery box for safety.
W R-P
Hey everyone.
I've been working on a axial flux permanent magnet DC generator to use on a 100W wind turbine(small I know), to charge 12v batteries in low wind speed areas. Now that it's complete, I'd like to determine the full power curve at different rpms.
So far I've been running it on NO LOAD,using a lathe machine as a prime mover. My results from this were the open circuit voltage and the short circuit current at various rpms- up to about 500rpm. i doubt multiplying the two readings will give me a TRUE value of the power I should expect.
I then tried using a dc bulb as a load, but the only available ones are 9w at 12vdc. If my voltage goes way above 12..it will blow,so that test won't go on for long. No power transducer available either..
My question is is there any simple experiment I can carry out to determine the power output, and what kind of load should i use?

some helpful data
STATOR
1.4mm wire
80 turns
6 coils
star connection, passed on to two block rectifiers
Any input would be appreciated.
William

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are correct, open circuit voltage times short circuit current is a meaningless quantity.

For your test, I would use a 12 V lead acid car battery. Short term, it can tolerate 9-16V, and it can accept charge at 50 amps or more. That's far above your 100 w design limit.

For maximum current, start with a discharged battery with open circuit voltage of 11 V.

As the battery state changes, you'll get a scattering of V & I measurements and a P value for each. A scatter plot of those versus RPM gives the generator capability.

For safety, enclose the battery in a battery box able to contain acid in case of battery failure.

1. What is Axial Flux PMG Testing?

Axial Flux PMG (Permanent Magnet Generator) Testing is a process used to evaluate the performance and efficiency of a 100W wind turbine's power generation system. It involves testing the generator's ability to convert mechanical energy from the wind into electrical energy.

2. Why is Axial Flux PMG Testing important?

Axial Flux PMG Testing is important because it helps determine the overall efficiency and performance of a wind turbine. This information is crucial for manufacturers to improve their designs and for consumers to make informed decisions about purchasing and using wind turbines.

3. How is Axial Flux PMG Testing done?

Axial Flux PMG Testing is typically done by connecting the wind turbine to a dynamometer, which measures the amount of torque and speed of the turbine's rotation. The electrical output is also measured to determine the turbine's power generation capabilities. The data collected is then analyzed to assess the turbine's efficiency and performance.

4. What are the benefits of Axial Flux PMG Testing?

Axial Flux PMG Testing provides valuable information about the efficiency, reliability, and overall performance of a wind turbine. This allows manufacturers to make improvements and optimizations to their designs, leading to more efficient and cost-effective wind turbines. Additionally, consumers can use this information to choose a wind turbine that meets their specific needs and budget.

5. What are some challenges associated with Axial Flux PMG Testing?

One of the main challenges of Axial Flux PMG Testing is the complexity of the testing process. It requires specialized equipment and expertise to accurately measure and analyze the data. Additionally, testing must be done under real-world conditions, which can be unpredictable and difficult to replicate. Furthermore, the cost of testing can be high, making it a barrier for smaller manufacturers or individuals looking to test their wind turbines.