What is the sweet spot on a cricket bat for reducing shock to the hands?

In summary, to calculate the axial force on a bat when a ball hits it at an angle, use the impulse momentum equation to calculate the normal force. You can also calculate the approximate force transferred to the hand by considering the bat swing velocity, ball velocity, and the concept of a sweet spot on the bat. Additionally, take into account the vibrations that may occur during the impact, especially if studying the physiological effects on the hand. You can also refer to the term "sweet spot" for more information on the physics of bat impact.
mrajkumar
hi, could you tell me how to calculate the axial force (along the axis of the bat) on the bat, when the ball hits with some angle with respect to the bat longitudinal axis. The normal force on the bat I've calculated based on the impulse momentum equation.
I'm interested i calculating approximate force transferred to the hand. Normal as well as axial forces.
I've bat swing velocity, ball velocity.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Draw an FBD of the bat, and write the equations of motion.

If you're looking at this from a physiological standpoint, such as to design a batting glove or determine the cause of a fracture, vibrations will also factor in. I don't know if that matters to you or not, and I don't know what to do about it even if so.

mrajkumar said:
... I'm interested i calculating approximate force transferred to the hand.

Try the search term "sweet spot" ... https://www.google.com/search?q=cricket bat sweet spot physics

Also applies to other bats ...
physics.usyd.edu.au said:
Batters know from experience that there is a sweet spot on the bat, about 17 cm from the end of the barrel, where the shock of the impact, felt by the hands, is reduced to such an extent that the batter is almost unaware of the collision. At other impact points, the impact is usually felt as a sting or jarring of the hands and forearm, particularly if the impact occurs at a point well removed from the sweet spot.
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/baseball.html

Last edited:

1. What is axial force on a cricket bat?

Axial force on a cricket bat refers to the force applied to the bat along its long axis, which is the direction in which the bat is swung.

2. How does the axial force affect the performance of the bat?

The axial force has a direct impact on the performance of the bat. A higher axial force can result in a more powerful hit, while a lower axial force can result in a weaker hit.

3. What factors influence the axial force on a cricket bat?

The main factors that influence the axial force on a cricket bat include the weight and design of the bat, the strength and technique of the player, and the speed and angle of the swing.

4. How can the axial force be measured on a cricket bat?

The axial force on a cricket bat can be measured using a force sensor or load cell attached to the handle of the bat. The sensor can measure the force applied during a swing and provide data on the axial force.

5. How can the axial force on a cricket bat be optimized?

The axial force on a cricket bat can be optimized by using a bat that is the right weight and design for the player, practicing proper swing technique, and increasing strength and power through training. The bat should also be swung at the optimal speed and angle for maximum force.