Solving Axial Loaded Beam: Deflection of P=30kN, L=1m, A=0.000225m^2

In summary, a_hargy determined the deformation of a beam loaded with a critical load of 30 kN. He found that the deformation is not simply PL/AE and that the maximum horizontal deflection is not calculable.
a_hargy

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the deformation of a beam loaded as shown in the attached picture.

where:
P=30kN
L=1m
A=0.000225m^2
E=2.22*10^5MPa
v=0.31
I=4.21875*10^9m^4

Homework Equations

Pcr=pi^2*EI/L
=9.2435kN

where Pcr is the critical load

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the deformation of the beam in the vertical direction is not simpily PL/AE as P>Pcr?
I was thinking I could calculate the horizontal deflection of the beam as it buckles and use trig to find the vertical deformation but I cannot find a way to calculate this maximum horizontal deflection. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Attachments

• capture3.JPG
    capture3.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
a_hargy: I am currently doubtful regarding your units. Can you check your units in the given data, and ensure you are listing correct units and values?

Also, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 30 kN, not 30kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

Also, are you missing an exponent in your relevant equation? Check your formula. Post corrections.

nvn: Sorry about that, I typed it in a bit of a rush.

P = 30 kN
L = 1 m
A = 0.000225 m2 (square bar 15 mm x 15 mm)
E = 2.22*105 MPa
v = 0.31
I = 4.21875*10-9 m4

Using Euler's formula to find the critical load:
Pcr = (pi2*E*I) / L2
For which my results are 9.2435 kN proving P > Pcr

Last edited:
Excellent work, a_hargy.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to compute the exact deformation, because your analysis shows the column buckles. The column might completely collapse. Do you have an exact wording of the given problem statement?

Last edited:
So there is no way of calculating the deflection of the beam since P > Pcr?

Its actually part of a much larger question. I probably should have mentioned this to begin with but I was fairly confident I could complete the other parts.

The whole question is: For the 2D three bar truss structure shown in figure 3.1 (attached) calculate the following:
a) The unknown displacements, reactions and element stresses of the structure and;
b) The maximum axial tensile and compressive stresses.

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Did you omit something from the problem statement? Where are the member cross-sectional dimensions given?

You basically cannot compute deflection if P > Pcr. Pcr needs to be much greater than P. If Pcr is much greater than P, then you can use P*L/(E*A).

Last edited:
Yes sorry the areas of the bars are:
AB = 20 mm x 20 mm
BC = 25 mm x 25 mm
AC = 15 mm x 15 mm

The next question is to analyse the same structure in Strand7 which I have already completed and it shows a displacement at point C. I am confident that I have calculated the deflection of bar AB and BC correctly, I am just stuck on calculating the deflection at point C

a_hargy: You are doing well, and your force in member AC currently looks correct. If you pretend member AC does not buckle, you can perhaps use P*L/(E*A). See post 6.

1. How do you calculate the deflection of an axial loaded beam?

The deflection of an axial loaded beam can be calculated using the formula: δ = PL^3 / (3EA), where δ is the deflection, P is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

2. What is the value of P, L, and A in the given problem?

In the given problem, P = 30kN, L = 1m, and A = 0.000225m^2. These values are necessary for calculating the deflection of the beam.

3. How do you determine the modulus of elasticity for a material?

The modulus of elasticity for a material can be determined through testing and experimentation. It is a measure of a material's stiffness and is typically reported in units of force per unit area, such as N/m^2 or Pa.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of beam?

This formula can be used for any type of beam as long as it is subjected to axial loading and has a uniform cross-sectional area.

5. How does the deflection of a beam affect its structural integrity?

The deflection of a beam can significantly affect its structural integrity. Excessive deflection can cause the beam to fail or collapse, leading to potential safety hazards. It is important to calculate and monitor the deflection of beams to ensure their stability and safety.