Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axial of centrifugal fans?

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Hello all!

I just want to ask help from you guys, I am trying to select which fan would apply on my toy project, ok, here is my setup, I have a base, and on it is a fan and on top of that is a tube, like a duct, and what im trying to see is what kind of fan i can use to ascend or make a full action figure inside a clear duct to go as high lets say 6 feet in the air,heres my schematic diagram.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3973/schematicsl.jpg [Broken]

and other inputs would highly be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    I think that for this application, choice of fan is fairly irrelevant so far as performing the job goes.

What I would say is that getting a small scale centrifugal fan isn't going to happen. So it basically must be axial.

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Why limit yourself to a fan and tube launcher? There are other ways you might launch your action figure to around six feet altitude. Rubber bands, springs, trebochet, and more.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4
    I heard small scale centrifugal fan is kinda bulky, so axial it is,so an axial fan would do, i was looking on some grainger axial fans, but how would i determine the amount of weight my fan could push upward?

if i do that, wheres the fun with that? id like to use a fan on how much weight it can launch, i was thinking of putting a air staightener to further increase flow in the tube,thus creating more launching power

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook