Which Fan Is Best for Vertical Lift in Toy Projects: Axial or Centrifugal?

In summary, a small scale centrifugal fan is not going to be able to lift the toy action figure to a high enough altitude to perform the job requested. Other ways of launching the toy action figure might be more fun.
wangbungal
Hello all!

I just want to ask help from you guys, I am trying to select which fan would apply on my toy project, ok, here is my setup, I have a base, and on it is a fan and on top of that is a tube, like a duct, and what I am trying to see is what kind of fan i can use to ascend or make a full action figure inside a clear duct to go as high let's say 6 feet in the air,heres my schematic diagram.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3973/schematicsl.jpg

and other inputs would highly be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that for this application, choice of fan is fairly irrelevant so far as performing the job goes.

What I would say is that getting a small scale centrifugal fan isn't going to happen. So it basically must be axial.

Why limit yourself to a fan and tube launcher? There are other ways you might launch your action figure to around six feet altitude. Rubber bands, springs, trebochet, and more.

JaredJames said:
I think that for this application, choice of fan is fairly irrelevant so far as performing the job goes.

What I would say is that getting a small scale centrifugal fan isn't going to happen. So it basically must be axial.

I heard small scale centrifugal fan is kinda bulky, so axial it is,so an axial fan would do, i was looking on some grainger axial fans, but how would i determine the amount of weight my fan could push upward?

Bobbywhy said:
Why limit yourself to a fan and tube launcher? There are other ways you might launch your action figure to around six feet altitude. Rubber bands, springs, trebochet, and more.

if i do that, wheres the fun with that? id like to use a fan on how much weight it can launch, i was thinking of putting a air staightener to further increase flow in the tube,thus creating more launching power

Hi there! I highly recommend using an axial fan for your project. Axial fans are designed to move air in a straight line, which would be perfect for creating the upward force needed for your action figure to ascend in the clear duct. Centrifugal fans, on the other hand, are better suited for moving air at a right angle, so it may not provide the same level of lift for your project. Additionally, axial fans are typically more efficient and cost-effective for applications like this. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the difference between an axial fan and a centrifugal fan?

An axial fan moves air in a straight line parallel to the fan's shaft, while a centrifugal fan moves air in a curved direction perpendicular to the fan's shaft.

2. What are the main applications for axial fans and centrifugal fans?

Axial fans are commonly used for ventilation, cooling, and air circulation in industrial and commercial settings. Centrifugal fans are often used for high-pressure applications, such as HVAC systems and industrial processes.

3. How do the operating principles of axial and centrifugal fans differ?

Axial fans work by accelerating air in the direction of the fan's rotation, while centrifugal fans use a combination of centrifugal force and blade rotation to move air perpendicular to the fan's shaft.

4. How do I determine the correct fan type for my specific application?

The type of fan needed depends on factors such as the required air flow rate, pressure, and environment. Consulting with a fan expert or using selection software can help determine the appropriate fan type for your application.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot axial and centrifugal fans?

Regular maintenance, including cleaning and lubrication, is important for both types of fans to ensure optimal performance and longevity. Troubleshooting can involve checking for obstructions, worn parts, and proper electrical connections.