Axially loaded member problem

• Thread starter whynot314
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving a steel rod bonded to an aluminum rod. The speaker mentions using equations for deformation and Newton's first law to solve for the forces and deformations. They also mention using a similar approach for the next question, and considering the bottom aluminum-steel end free to move without deformation. The final point made is that if the applied force is less than 400 N, the remaining force should be used to calculate additional forces in the sections.
whynot314
[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20130909_125150_zpse5d4c881.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20130909_125150_zpse5d4c881.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

I am not sure how to go beyond this point or even if I have the compatibility problem correct, I am assuming that the bar does hit the other side of the wall. But when I go to solve this I have to many unknowns.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20130909_123600_zps3c277e60.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20130909_123600_zps3c277e60.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also because the steel rod is bonded to the aluminum rod i figured that member BC would have the same displacement, thus giving me F(al)=F(st)([itex]\frac{A(al)}{A(st)}[/itex])([itex]\frac{E(al)}{E(st)}[/itex]). Using this I was able to get an answer but it was wrong.

Note equation of deformation is [itex]\delta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{PL}{AE}[/itex].

Did you solve for the first part correctly (Question 4-41)? The top alum piece, and the bottom steel piece, and the bottom alum piece, all have the same axial deformations. Using your deformation equations for each, and Newton's 1st law, gives you 4 equations with 4 unknowns, which you can solve for the forces and deformation.

In the next question 4-42, you can solve for the applied force and internal forces necessary to deform all 3 pieces equally at 5 mm each, using the same approach, but considering the bottom al-steel end free to move without deformation. Now if the applied force turns out less than 400 N to give this 5 mm deformation, then the remaining force (400 - the applied force you calculated) should be used similar to the first question to get the additional forces in the sections.

I understand that solving complex problems can be challenging and may require multiple steps and assumptions. In this case, the axially loaded member problem appears to have multiple unknowns and may require further analysis to determine a solution.

One approach to solving this problem could be to make some assumptions, such as assuming that the bar does hit the other side of the wall, and then using equations and principles of mechanics to solve for the unknowns. However, it is important to note that these assumptions may not accurately reflect the real-world scenario and could lead to errors in the solution.

Another approach could be to gather more data or information, such as the dimensions and properties of the bar and the wall, to create a more accurate and detailed model of the problem. This could help to reduce the number of unknowns and make the solution more reliable.

In any case, it is important to carefully consider all assumptions and data used in the solution process and to validate the results through experimentation or comparison with other methods. As a scientist, it is crucial to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset to ensure accurate and reliable solutions.

1. What is an axially loaded member problem?

An axially loaded member problem is a common engineering problem that involves analyzing a structural element that is subject to axial, or compressive and tensile, forces. These forces act along the longitudinal axis of the member and are typically caused by loads such as weight, wind, or seismic activity.

2. How is an axially loaded member problem solved?

To solve an axially loaded member problem, the engineer must calculate the internal forces and stresses within the member. This involves using equations such as the Euler formula, which relates the applied load, length, and material properties to the maximum stress the member can withstand without failure.

3. What factors affect the analysis of an axially loaded member?

The analysis of an axially loaded member is affected by factors such as the material properties of the member, its cross-sectional shape, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, and the support conditions at the ends of the member. These factors can greatly impact the stress and deformation of the member, and must be carefully considered in the analysis.

4. What are the different types of axially loaded members?

There are several types of axially loaded members, including columns, struts, tie rods, and cables. Columns are vertical members that support compressive loads, while struts are inclined members that resist compressive loads. Tie rods are used to resist tensile loads, and cables can be used for both tensile and compressive loads depending on their orientation.

5. Why is it important to properly analyze axially loaded members?

Proper analysis of axially loaded members is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of a structure. If the internal forces and stresses within the members are not accurately calculated, it can lead to structural failure, which can result in serious consequences. Additionally, proper analysis can also help optimize the design and prevent over-engineering, saving time and resources.