Axiom of Probability: Question on p(<sample space>)=1

In summary, the conversation discusses the axiom that the probability of a sample space is equal to 1 and whether it should be considered a theorem or a definition. The argument that something that must occur has a probability of 1 is derived from this axiom. The conversation also explores the possibility of changing the value of the axiom and rebuilding the probability model based on the new value. Ultimately, the axioms are seen as natural and in accordance with our intuitive concept of probability.
jack1234
I have a question regarding one of the axiom for probability, which is p(<sample space>)=1.

I do not understand why p(<sample space>)=1 is an axiom instead of theorem, since I can prove it with the following argument:

Since sample space has been defined as the set of all possible outcomes, hence in any case, the sample set must occur, therefore the probability of the occurring of sample space is 100%, which follows that p(<sample space>)=1.

What is the problem with the argument?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the fact that something that must occur has probability 100% (i.e. 1.0) a separate axiom? If so, how do they define "must occur"?
The point is that the idea that something that "must occur" has probability 1.0, is derived from the axiom you cite, not vice-versa.

Thanks, but why we do not called
p(<sample space>)=1
as a definition instead of an axiom?

I am not sure what make us call it an axiom...

Last edited:
What would it be defining? It is stating a property, not defining a word. If you are thinking of that as defining "must happen", that phrase is not part of mathematical probability but rather of possible applications of probability.

(This may beyond what you are studying, but if your sample space is "all numbers between 0 and 1" and all numbers are equally likely, then the probability you will select an irrational number is 1, even though it is possible to select a rational number.)

Thanks again :)
The reference book I have used stating that:
Axiom 1 stating that 0<=P(E)<=1
Axiom 2 stating that P(S)=1
Axiom 3, the probability of union of mutually exclusive events is equal to the summation probability of of each of the events.

And the author says that, hopefully, the reader will agree that the axioms are natural and in accordance with our intuitive concept of probability as related to chance and randomness.

But what if axiom 1 and axiom 2 is changed to
Axiom 1 stating that 0.5<=P(E)<=1.5
Axiom 2 stating that P(S)=1.5
(Axiom 3 no change)

or

Axiom 1 stating that 1.1<=P(E)<=2
Axiom 2 stating that P(S)=2
(Axiom 3 no change)

and rebuild the probability model base on the new axiom? Will there be any problem in this new probability model?

If not can I say that the original Axiom 1 and Axiom 2 is just taking some reference value so everybody on the Earth can follow it?

1. What is the Axiom of Probability?

The Axiom of Probability is a fundamental concept in probability theory that states that the probability of an event occurring is a number between 0 and 1, inclusive. It is used to determine the likelihood of an event based on a set of possible outcomes.

2. What does p()=1 mean?

This notation represents the probability of a sample space, which is the collection of all possible outcomes of an experiment, being equal to 1. In other words, it means that the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes is equal to 1, indicating that one of the outcomes must occur.

3. How is the Axiom of Probability used in real life?

The Axiom of Probability is used to calculate the likelihood of events occurring in a wide range of fields, such as in finance, sports, and weather forecasting. It allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the probability of certain outcomes.

4. Can the Axiom of Probability be applied to all types of events?

Yes, the Axiom of Probability can be applied to any type of event, as long as the event is well-defined and has a set of possible outcomes. It is a universal principle that can be used in both theoretical and practical contexts.

5. What are the limitations of the Axiom of Probability?

The Axiom of Probability assumes that all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account events that are dependent on each other, which can lead to inaccurate predictions. Additionally, the Axiom of Probability is based on mathematical principles and may not always align with our intuition about probability.