1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axis of a wire.

1. Jan 9, 2014 #1
    When one comes across the sentence 'axis of a straight wire', how can one consider the orientation of the axis?

Commonly, the axis of a straight wire can be considered to be a line parallel(along the wire) to the wire itself.

Can 'axis of a straight wire' also mean a line that is perpendicular to the wire? I doubt it. But, I wish to know if the latter is also true.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would interpret it as a longitudinal axis along (parallel to) the wire passing perpendicularly through the center of its (circular) cross section, sometimes called the 'axial' longitudinal axis. (As you also have apparently interpreted it).
    I would guess that if one were looking at an axis perpendicular to the wire, the sentence would state such, for example, a yoyo and cord rotating about an axis peppendicular to the plane of rotation.

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can have an axis perpendicular to the straight wire, but a point external to the wire must be specified in order to determine which set of axes you are concerned with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted