1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axis of figure (?)

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    Hello. Can anyone tell me what is the "axis of figure" or "figure axis" ?
    This is in the context of rigid bodies, rotation, and moment of inertia.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you provide the actual quote? Does there need to be any more meaning to it than the obvious?

The figure in question would have (infinite) axes about which it could rotate i.e. any one of them could be the rotational axis of the figure.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    This is from Sommerfeld's Lectures on Mechanics. This is the quote

"For the heavy symmetrical top the fixed point O (point of support in the socket) no longer coincides with the center of mass G (located on the axis of symmetry); call s the distance OG. The magnitude of the gravitational torque is then:

|L|=m*g*s*sin(theta)

where theta is the angle between the vertical and the axis of figure."

I'm pretty sure that theta equals the angle between the vertical and the line OG. And, by the way, there not a single figure (as in picture) in the whole section where this quote is taken from. That's why I guess this term must have some definition.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    I just found out that the axis of figure of a symmetrical top is the axis corresponding to the unequal moment of inertia.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook