Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Azazel and Prometheus?

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    I was just reading this article on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azazel and its remarkable to note the similarities between biblical accounts and greek myths. This particular extract sounds extremely similar to Prometheus giving fire to man and being chained and tortured for it for all eternity. Perhaps they are different descriptions of the same account?

Prometheus was bound and an eagle tore at his eyes for all eternity.

Prometheus gave man fire, something exclusively retained by the gods, and Zeus punished him for it.

An article on wiki on Prometheus, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus .
    Again, interesting to note the similarities shown in many cultures from the world over at the end of the article.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    Just for accuracy, it was his liver, not his eyes.

Edit: And according to wikipedia, it was a vulture, not an eagle.
  4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    Sorry. My fault. I should have looked it up. Thank you for correcting me.
  5. Feb 25, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 25, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is undoubted similarity between bible stories and other ancient myths. They all seem to have a common root. Its not surprising in times when stories were told rather than written to see such variation of the same story from one place to another.
  7. Feb 25, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

As religions move into different cultures, old myths are recast in a new context. As cultures interact, stories are transferred from one culture to another.
  8. Feb 25, 2008 #7
    The particular myth you speak of is not in the Bible, but from other sacred writings. A closer fit for the Bible would be Babylonian and Persian myths. But these cultures were in contact with each other, so it is no surprise that they all share myths. Astronuc covered this point.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?