B-Bbar mixing and CKM matrix

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the contribution of "box" diagrams to B-Bbar mixing in the Standard Model. The main issue discussed is the calculation of the mass eigenstates and the phase of the box diagram. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their confusion and asking for clarification.
muppet
Hi all,

I'm being a bit thick in following some introductory lectures on the Standard Model: http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/hepsummerschool/Teubner-%20Standard%20Model%202008.pdf

The thing I'm struggling to understand is the treatment of how "box" diagrams contribute to B-Bbar mixing (see page 70 of that link). My attempt to understand it would be the following. The box diagram adds terms that couple B, Bbar to the effective Hamiltonian, so that the mass matrix becomes of the form
[tex]\left(\begin{array} \
M_{B} & \Delta M \\
(\Delta M )^* & M_{B} \end{array} \right) [/tex]
where [itex]\Delta M \sim (V_{tb}V_{td}^{*})^2[/itex] is the complex contribution from the box diagram. The eigenvalues of this matrix sum to [itex]2 M_B[/itex] and their product is [itex]M_{B}^2-|\Delta M |^2=(M_B - |\Delta M|)(M_B + |\Delta M|)[/itex]. So define [itex] \Delta m =2 |\Delta M|[/itex], and the eigenvalues of this matrix must be [itex]M_B \pm \frac{1}{2} \Delta m[/itex].
where the minus sign corresponds to the heavy mass eigenstate and the plus sign to the lighter eigenstate (because [itex](A-\lambda I)v=0[/itex]).
The eigenvectors of this matrix should then lie in the kernel of
[tex]\left(\begin{array} \
\mp |\Delta M| & \Delta M \\
(\Delta M )^* & \mp |\Delta M| \end{array} \right) [/tex]
If, for a moment, we take [itex] \Delta M [/itex] to be real, I then think that the heavy normalised eigenstate is [itex](\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})[/itex] and the lighter one is [itex](\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})[/itex], which is the other way round to what the notes suggest. This is problem number one that I have. (Does [\itex] \Delta M [/itex] turn out to be negative or something?)

Problem number two is that if I write [itex]\Delta M= |\Delta M|e^{i \alpha}[/itex], so that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the phase of the box diagram, then I think my mass eigenstates are solutions of
[tex]|\Delta M| \left(\begin{array} \
\mp 1 & e^{i \alpha} \\
e^{-i \alpha} & \mp 1\end{array} \right) \left(\begin{array} \ p \\ q \end{array} \right)=0 [/tex]
so that normalised eigenvectors will look like [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,\pm e^{i \alpha})[/itex]
-i.e. that the phase of the diagram is the ratio p/q. But according to the notes, p/q is the square root of the phase of the diagram. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
muppet said:
This is problem number one that I have. (Does [\itex] \Delta M [/itex] turn out to be negative or something?)
It can, but this is just a question of convention.

1. What is B-Bbar mixing?

B-Bbar mixing is a phenomenon observed in the decay of B mesons, where a B meson can change into its antiparticle (Bbar meson) and vice versa. This process is described by the CKM matrix.

2. What is the CKM matrix?

The CKM matrix is a mathematical matrix that describes the mixing of quarks in the Standard Model of particle physics. It stands for Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa matrix, and it contains information about the strength and phase of the interactions between different types of quarks.

3. How is the CKM matrix related to B-Bbar mixing?

The CKM matrix is directly related to B-Bbar mixing as it provides the theoretical framework for understanding and predicting the rates of B meson mixing. The elements of the CKM matrix determine the probability of a B meson decaying into its antiparticle, leading to B-Bbar mixing.

4. Why is B-Bbar mixing important in particle physics?

B-Bbar mixing is an important phenomenon in particle physics because it allows us to study the properties of the weak interaction and the CKM matrix. It also provides a way to test the predictions of the Standard Model and search for new physics beyond it.

5. How is B-Bbar mixing experimentally observed?

B-Bbar mixing is experimentally observed by studying the decay products of B mesons. By looking at the different decay rates and patterns, scientists can determine the amount of mixing that has occurred. This information can then be used to further understand the CKM matrix and the weak interaction.