Improve Calculus Grade: Tips for Junior High Students

In summary: You're fine. There are plenty of physicists that haven't always gotten straight A's. The vast majority of them actually.
DeputyFerg
I just got my report card last week. My math class calculus is really difficult but I have been working really hard. I got a B+. I knew that my garde was going to be low but now I am really worried that I won't be able to be a physicist any more. Is a B+ going to stop be from getting into a college or getting good scholarships? I still have half of the year to try to get my grade up a little bit. I am a junior and am starting to think about college right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely do not sweat a B+. If the class was as tough as you claim, then you should be proud. Anytime someone tells me they get straight A's I wonder just what kind of fluff classes they are taking. What is your overall GPA at the moment?

Likes Ahmad Kishki
You're asking the wrong questions. Ask yourself if you really do know the material. How come you did not get an A (not that it's a disaster by the way)? If you do know the material then you should be ok. Otherwise, you're in some problems.

Likes TheKracken, Ahmad Kishki, ulianjay and 1 other person
Thank you Greg and MicroMass for writing back. My total GPA right now is a 3.8 out of a total of 4. It's nice of you to encourage me that the class might just be hard and that I should be proud/happy with what I did so far. I guess I don't have an A because my test grades weren't all high enough or something. It was really just one test that brought me down quite a bit. I hate related rates. Thank you both for your encouragement. I will look forward to applying to good schools and getting good scholarships.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
No, most physicists don't even need to be taught calculus. They just instinctively know it.

That's sarcasm, of course.

You're fine. There are plenty of physicists that haven't always gotten straight A's. The vast majority of them actually. Straight A's, or a 4.0 is really kind of meaningless in the grand scheme of things. If a college denies you, you can be reasonably sure that your B+ in calculus had very little to do with it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Fellow Student, mate.
Just Practice maybe!?
Buy a decent refresher and daily solve a dozen DIFFICULT problems. Then you might look back at Int( 2x Sin(x^2) dx) and be like ..."Meh!"

Personally, I would like to let you know that I graduated high school with a less than 3.0 GPA, and got into a state university that basically accepts almost everyone (not to say anything against our awesome physics program!). I currently have a 3.8+ GPA, and am doing great in upper division math and physics courses as a lower division student. Also, my mentor had a less than 2.0 GPA when he got in this school. This year, he got accepted to #1 graduate program in the nation for the field of research he is interested in.

Don't worry too much. I was panicking when I got a B+ in calculus too, and this was when I was an incoming college freshman. You seem to be a very bright student with a strong academic background, so there shouldn't be trouble in getting into a good university with a plentiful scholarship. There will be greater downfalls living the life of a physicist, and the only way is to toughen out and continue your path. Keep working hard, and I highly doubt that you'll walk out of that class with anything less than an A!

QuantumCurt said:
There are plenty of physicists that haven't always gotten straight A's. The vast majority of them actually.
To further emphasize this, one of my graduate advisors actually got irritated at his students for getting A's. In his opinion, if you were getting an A then you were spending too much time on classes and not spending enough time in the lab doing research. It may not be directly applicable since that was graduate school instead of high school, but the general idea is that there is some tolerance of B's, even to the point of some people favoring them over A's.

I won't say whether I was one of the ones that he got irritated at or not ;-)

1. How can I improve my calculus grade in junior high?

There are several ways to improve your calculus grade in junior high. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as algebra and geometry. It is also important to attend all classes, pay attention, and actively participate in class discussions. Additionally, practice regularly by solving problems and seeking help from your teacher or tutor when needed.

2. Is it necessary to memorize all the formulas in calculus?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all the formulas in calculus. Understanding the concepts behind the formulas and being able to apply them is more important. However, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of the most commonly used formulas.

3. How can I stay motivated to study calculus?

Staying motivated to study calculus can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your accomplishments. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep each other motivated. Additionally, try to make connections between calculus and real-life applications to make the subject more interesting.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me improve my calculus grade?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help you improve your calculus grade. Khan Academy, MathHelp, and MathIsFun are some popular websites that offer free tutorials, practice problems, and videos on various calculus topics. Your school or local library may also have online resources available for students.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific concept in calculus?

If you are struggling with a specific concept in calculus, don't be afraid to ask for help. Talk to your teacher or a tutor and explain which concept is giving you trouble. They can provide additional explanations and practice problems to help you better understand the concept. You can also try using online resources or studying with a classmate who may have a better understanding of the concept.