Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B+ In physics

1. May 14, 2018 #1
    Worked really hard this semester in physics 1 and got a B+. So i worked as hard as i could and my mental capacity has proven to only be capable of a B+ at full throttle in a challenging course. i put my other classes on the back burner for physics and i end up with a B+. Not sure how i feel about this

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2018 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to take some time and reflect on this experience. Were there any big lessons that you learned looking back over the year? Did you have any breakthrough moments?

You can't define yourself by a single grade. The B+ is how it all shook out this time around. Is it likely that's going to repeat itself, or do you feel as though you've learned some things that will help you in your next set of courses?

4. May 15, 2018 #3

256bits

Gold Member

Was it the math? the concepts?
    Sometimes letting it stew for a few months and it all comes together better.
    ( As long as one doesn't forget everything after the exam :H , which though is easy to pick up again with a simple refresher of leafing through the books, so all is not lost )

5. May 15, 2018 #4
    I would look at what caused you to get the B+. Look back at your graded papers and find what got marked down. Did you have trouble with the overall concept or just a particular part. I was certainly no straight A student. I understood the concepts fine, but I had difficulty with terminology. I'm still not sure I could describe some of the more advanced programming techniques even though I use them every day.

6. May 15, 2018 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why worry about this B+ grade? This was not like struggling between D and C grade for a course. Are you just worried that the next Physics courses might be tougher to get B grade too or that the grades will be lower? You really do not know until you do one or two more of them.

Review can be a good thing.

7. May 16, 2018 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

A B+? The horror!

If you look at all the threads in this section, you will find someone who got a B once! O horror, horror, horror! Tongue nor heart cannot conceive nor name thee!

8. May 17, 2018 #7
    OP, don't fret it. I worked hard for my high-school physics exam and prepared for the exam 2 months prior to it's commencement. I got a D.

9. May 17, 2018 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Depending on if O.P. is at high school or at college/university, the importance of letter grade would be very different.

10. May 17, 2018 #9
    Can you explain the difference please? I fail to recognize any since they both use the same grading system for the most part.

11. May 19, 2018 #10
    The problem can be in the test taking.
    had the same experience, even a worse one. Hard work for an 86 then I dropped a course and worked double and ended up with a 40. I just forget half the material in the exam

Another problem might be because you thought you worked hard but actually didn't. Happened to me too. Spent a week on material that required a day. Turned out I wasted half the time without knowing!! Since then I set time for extreme focus work and then fool around for the rest of the day. Thus freeing more time and having better grades.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted