1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B inside a cylinder of radius R

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1
    hey all, this is confusing me a lot:

consider an infinitely long cylinder of cross-section radius R. we choose symmetry axis of the cylinder as the z-axis. The cylinder carries a uniform current density J in the +z direction throughout it's cross section. what is B at r inside of the cylinder? Express you answer in the component form B = Bx i + By j + Bz k

...what i'm confused about is whether or not I can use ampere's law with an amperian loop inside the cylinder or if i have to use Biot-Savart.....

i did it using ampere's law and i got |B| = uJs/2 ....and the vector B is in the phi direction.....wrapping around the z-axis.......did i do that right? how do i get it into cartesian coords? Do i have to use Biot-Savart in to be able to get it in cartesian coords regardless of whether or not ampere's law can be used?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a fairly simple Ampere's law problem. The line integral of the magnetic field around a circle at radius r is just:

[tex]\oint \vec B\cdot ds = \mu_0I_{encl}= \mu_0AJ = \mu_0\pi r^2J[/tex]

due to symmetry, |B| is constant and always in the direction of ds so:

[tex]\oint \vec B\cdot ds = B2\pi r[/tex]

[tex]B2\pi r = \mu_0\pi r^2J[/tex]

[tex]B = \mu_0rJ/2[/tex]

At a given point [itex]\vec r = x\hat i + y\hat j[/itex], the magnetic field vector is perpendicular to the radial vector. So By/Bx = x/y. Divide by r to get the unit vectors.

[tex]\vec B = B\frac{y}{r}\hat i + B\frac{x}{r}\hat j[/tex]

where [tex]B = \mu_0rJ/2[/tex]

AM

4. Mar 13, 2005 #3
    ok thanks man...that makes sense....ok so thaty's B for inside the cylinder....now whatabout outside?

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Outside the enclosed current is the entire current in the cylinder. So:

[tex]B = \mu_0J\pi R^2/2\pi D[/tex] where D is the distance from the centre.

AM

6. Mar 14, 2005 #5
    IN a right handed coordinate system, Should that be

[tex]\vec B = -B\frac{y}{r}\hat i + B\frac{x}{r}\hat j[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?