1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B less or equal than 8

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't going to be this complicated that I have to section my problem down to segments, this is just a part of an advanced problem. There is also something wrong with my browser, I can only type into a textbox where I start typing at the beginning. I can't press enter or anything like that.The problem is this: I cannot understand why this happens: http://j.mp/q2ySH9. I would think that b would be less or equal than BOTH of the numbers... yet it becomes an interval. EDIT: sorry, in the second step it's supposed to be b, not b squared.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Now your image is visible.)

[itex]b^2\le8[/itex][itex]b^2-(\sqrt{8})^2\le0[/itex][itex](b-\sqrt{8})(b+\sqrt{8})\le0[/itex]

Standard methods give the interval you questioned: [itex]-\sqrt{8}\le b\le\sqrt{8}\,.[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Sep 30, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "standard methods" are: pq< 0 if and only if p and q are of different sign: either "p< 0 and q> 0" or "p> 0 and q< 0".

Since [itex]b^2- 8= (b-\sqrt{8})(b+\sqrt{8})[/itex], for that to be less than 0 we must have one of
    (a) [itex]b- \sqrt{8}> 0[/itex] and [itex]b+ \sqrt{8}< 0[/itex] or
    (b) [itex]b- \sqrt{8}< 0[/itex] and [itex]b+ \sqrt{8}> 0[/itex]

(a) gives [itex]b> \sqrt{8}> 0[/itex] and [itex]b< -\sqrt{8}< 0[/itex] but those cannot both be true. Therefore, we must have (b) which gives [itex]b< \sqrt{8}[/itex] and [itex]b> -\sqrt{8}[/itex] or [itex]-\sqrt{8}< b< \sqrt{8}[/itex].

Since the initial problem had "[itex]\le 0[/itex]" rather than just "<", we must have
    [tex]-\sqrt{8}\le b\le \sqrt{8}[/tex].

By the way, since 8= 4(2) and 4 is a "perfect square", you can write [itex]\sqrt{8}= 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] and that is typically preferred:
    [tex]-2\sqrt{2}\le b\le 2\sqrt{2}[/tex]
    might be preferred as an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook