What are the job prospects for M.S. Finance and is it a good investment?

In summary, the job prospects for the M.S. Finance are not good. The only remotely-related course I've taken is intermediate macroeconomic theory, so I have no experience in finance. Based on my cursory look into the various aspects of finance, corporate valuation, and determining how to value companies, assets, and such, I think it might be more research-oriented and slightly quantitative in the professional world. The tuition fees for the M.S. Finance program are ridiculously high, and I don't think it will ever be worth anyone's dime.
Shackleford
What are the job prospects for the M.S. Finance? Is it a good investment? The only remotely-related course I've taken is intermediate macroeconomic theory. It's not really related at all. Basically, I'm looking at non-technical-to-slightly-more technical graduate programs that might yield a nice return after graduation. I'm a few years outside the undergrad curve, so that monetary concern is probably the most important one right now. No I-banking.

I've been working in economic development for the past three years. I graduate in May with a B.S. Math and Physics Minor. Economic development requires a lot of networking, salesmanship, and so forth. That's not really what I enjoy. I'm not sure what all finance and its subsets entail. Frankly, I know nothing of finance, but I'm just poking around seeing if anything piques my interest. From my cursory look into the various aspects of finance, corporate valuation, determining how to value companies, assets, and such for the purposes of acquisitions or capital investment/management kind of seems interesting. If I had to guess, I'd say that might be more research-oriented and slightly quantitative in the professional world as opposed to garnering investors and so forth which would require the networking skills.

Physics news on Phys.org
loooooooooooooool yeah dude, a mba in finance is doable with any background, you might want to consider ibanking though, as most mba's are like 50 grand a year . . .

Highway said:
loooooooooooooool yeah dude, a mba in finance is doable with any background, you might want to consider ibanking though, as most mba's are like 50 grand a year . . .

I didn't say MBA. I said M.S. From what I've heard about the nature of I-banking, I'm not really interested.

http://www.princeton.edu/bcf/graduate/ might interest you? The tuition fees, as with most MS programs, are ridiculous though and I don't know whether it will ever be worth anyone's dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mépris said:
http://www.princeton.edu/bcf/graduate/ might interest you? The tuition fees, as with most MS programs, are ridiculous though and I don't know whether it will ever be worth anyone's dime.

Yeah, you're right. The tuition is far too much for me. According to my university, they have a decent program. It says the total cost is $26K.

In order to better service the educational needs of the Houston community, the Bauer College of Business has assembled a nationally renowned faculty in finance. The current members of the faculty have over forty years of full-time experience as faculty at the top 10 finance departments. Indeed, recent rankings place the UH finance faculty sixteenth in the nation and second in the State of Texas.

http://www.bauer.uh.edu/graduate-studies/ms-finance/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure out whether even that would be worth the investment - i.e, find out who recruits from Bauer, contact alumni, etc - I doubt you're doing this for the fun of it (alone). It would very much suck if after the program, your situation is not very different to the one you're currently in.

you should try to line up a job now. like this month. you've already missed most finance recruiting but might still be able to swing something. ask the finance kids at your school for advice

1. What is the difference between a B.S. in Math and an M.S. in Finance?

A B.S. in Math typically focuses on theoretical and abstract mathematical concepts, while an M.S. in Finance is more applied and practical, with a focus on financial markets, analysis, and decision-making.

2. Can I pursue an M.S. in Finance with a B.S. in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer M.S. in Finance programs that are open to students from diverse academic backgrounds. However, some prerequisite coursework in finance, economics, or accounting may be required.

3. What career opportunities are available with a B.S. in Math and an M.S. in Finance?

Individuals with a B.S. in Math and an M.S. in Finance have a variety of career options, such as financial analyst, investment banker, risk manager, financial consultant, and data scientist. These degrees provide a strong foundation for roles that require both analytical and quantitative skills.

4. Is a B.S. in Math necessary for an M.S. in Finance?

No, a B.S. in Math is not a prerequisite for an M.S. in Finance. However, having a strong mathematical background can be beneficial for understanding financial models and conducting financial analysis.

5. Are there any online options for obtaining a B.S. in Math and an M.S. in Finance?

Yes, there are many online programs available for both a B.S. in Math and an M.S. in Finance. It is important to research and ensure that the program is accredited and reputable before enrolling.