B.S.->Peace Corps->Grad School

• Schools
  • Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the person is considering joining the Peace Corps after graduating with a B.S. in Engineering Physics. They have been wanting to do this for a long time and after two years, they plan to attend grad school for Physics or Math. They also want to take a break and do humanitarian aid before attending grad school. The person is curious if the Peace Corps experience would look good on a grad school application, but their main motivation is to gain valuable experience. They have some concerns about not being ready for grad school after a 2-year break from school.
Winzer
B.S.-->Peace Corps-->Grad School

Ok so I am thinking about joining the peace corps right after I graduate with my B.S. in Engineering Physics. I really have been wanting to do this for a long time. After two years in the Peace Corps, I would really like to goto Grad. School for Physics or Math. I really don;t want to goto Grad School right after because I would like to take a break and explore the world a bit and do some humanitarian aid. By the way, applying to grad school, would the peace corps look good on an app? I am not doing it for this reason alone obviously, i am just curious. So what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think working in the Peace Corps is commendable, and I think it is an invaluable experience. It certainly would look good on a grad school application.

I have had the same aspirations
my only fear is that I will not be ready for grad school after a 2 year break form school, not just in the sense that I won't remember thins, but more that I won't be reay to be back in a school environment

Related to B.S.->Peace Corps->Grad School

1. What is the Peace Corps?

The Peace Corps is a volunteer program run by the United States government that sends American citizens to live and work in developing countries for two years. Volunteers work on various projects in areas such as education, health, and community development.

2. How does serving in the Peace Corps relate to pursuing graduate school?

Serving in the Peace Corps can provide valuable experience and skills that can be applied to graduate school. Many graduate programs value the cross-cultural experience and language skills gained through Peace Corps service.

3. Can I use my service in the Peace Corps towards a graduate degree?

Some graduate programs may offer credit or scholarships for Peace Corps service. It is best to research individual programs to see if they have specific policies for Peace Corps volunteers.

4. How can serving in the Peace Corps help me in my career goals?

Peace Corps service can provide valuable skills and experiences that can be applied to various careers, especially those related to international development, education, and public service. It also provides an opportunity to network and make connections with professionals in these fields.

5. What are the benefits of doing the B.S.->Peace Corps->Grad School path?

This path can provide a unique and well-rounded experience for individuals interested in pursuing a career in international development or related fields. It offers the opportunity to gain hands-on experience, develop language skills, and build a strong network while also earning a graduate degree. Peace Corps service can also provide financial assistance for graduate school through the Coverdell Fellows program.