1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B.S Physics and 3-4 years professional software experience: what now?

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm a little lost right now, and I would appreciate some thoughtful ideas or advice.

I graduated with a B.S. in Physics a little under 5 years ago at the peak of the recession. When I started, I had the intention of becoming a professor and doing energy research. I spent most of my undergrad years doing research while working jobs on the side to fund my education and experiencing a hefty dose of class-ism. After seeing a lot of unhappy people doing research and seeing a long road of unhappiness ahead of me, I chose to take my chances on an alternate career path, software engineering.

Software engineering was the lowest-cost option for entry, because I could teach myself while working some other menial job for minimum wage (cooking), which I did. I would have taken the FE in electrical engineering, but I could not, because I had not taken enough humanities credits in college (crazy, I know).

So after a few years of hard work and discipline, I eventually networked my way into a software company as a tester, quickly moved to being the test lead, then worked as a full-stack engineer for a few years on a web project for the Navy. Eventually, I left, because I could not tolerate some of the unethical practices in this agency and I refused the raises I kept getting to stay there.

Right now, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I am an expert in Selenium Webdriver (having created two custom frameworks) and software deployment automation. I am a well-rounded web developer. I have experience as a team lead. I have made a ton of little projects to hone my skills.

It seems like it would be easy to get a job as a QA lead somewhere, and I think I could actually be happy doing that. I can really rock that kind of a job and can probably be the best QA lead out there.

However, I want to create social change for the better. I want to truly make this world a better place, but I feel stuck. To demonstrate the kind of angle I'm going for, I'm thinking about starting a company that sells used phones with free software operating systems pre-installed (not sure how to get started, though).

Sorry for the long post. I know it's a bit of a soap opera, but this is my life, and I'm making the best of it. I have been out of the loop in the physics scene for 4-5 years now, so I posted here because some of you might be best qualified to know where my physics and web development skills might best be combined and applied.

Warm regards, and I appreciate your help and respectful opinions.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted