B.S Vs. Interdisciplinary B.S.

In summary, the individual is a college student who has been in college for six years and is facing a dilemma regarding their degree. They have the option to graduate in six years with an interdisciplinary B.S. in geosciences or spend one more semester to get a B.S. in geosciences. The individual is concerned about the value and job opportunities of the interdisciplinary degree and is unsure if taking an extra semester is worth it. The value of an interdisciplinary degree may vary for graduate school and employers, but it ultimately depends on the individual's specific goals and the definition of "interdisciplinary".
Flipmode22
I am currently an undergraduate college student that is in a dilemma. I have been in college for a long time, I am currently in my sixth year. My advisor has given me two options: graduate at the end of my sixth year with an "inter-disclipinary" B.S. in geosciences, or spend have one additional fall semester in college to get a B.S. in Geo-sciences.

I am familiar with what an inter-disciplinary degree is, but I have major concerns. It was explained to me that an inter-disciplinary degree is less valuable than the other option. Would settling for an inter-disciplinary degree be a bad mistake that will give me more limited job opportunities? The only reasons I am considering it is to keep from taking another semester of college.

Would graduating in six and a half years for undergrad to get the geo-sciences B.S. be a bad mistake? Will it look bad to employers? or grad schools? Would settling for the interdisciplinary degree be the smarter option?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the definition of "interdisciplinary" I think.

At my undergrad institution they awarded something called a "complimentary studies" degree, which I suspect is along the same lines - a degree with less core requirements, more electives that allows the student to be more broadly educated.

It's harder to get into graduate school with such degrees. Some schools won't look at you with a degree like that because you haven't done enough core coursework. So if graduate school is a serious option for you, I would avoid that route.

On the other hand, employers aren't likely to care as much, unless you're trying to get into a particular profession. In some cases having a broader scope of studies can be seen as a plus. Sometimes the requirement of a degree for a position is simply there a threshold for proof that you can think critically or independently or simply that you're good enough at jumping though hoops that you're more likely than not to do whatever the company needs you to do.

My undergrad had a similar option with less requirements and it never mattered as much for grad admissions to the chagrin of "standard" physics majors.

1. What is the difference between a B.S and an Interdisciplinary B.S?

A B.S (Bachelor of Science) degree typically focuses on a specific field of study, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. On the other hand, an Interdisciplinary B.S combines multiple fields of study to create a customized program that aligns with the student's interests and career goals. This type of degree allows for a more diverse and well-rounded education.

2. Which degree is better for future career opportunities?

Both B.S and Interdisciplinary B.S degrees can lead to successful career opportunities. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. A B.S degree may be more beneficial for careers that require a specific skill set, while an Interdisciplinary B.S degree may be more suitable for careers that require a diverse range of skills.

3. Can an Interdisciplinary B.S degree be more challenging than a traditional B.S degree?

It is difficult to determine which degree is more challenging as it varies depending on the specific program and courses taken. A traditional B.S degree may have a more structured curriculum, while an Interdisciplinary B.S degree may require more independent thinking and problem-solving skills. However, both degrees require hard work and dedication to succeed.

4. Are there any specific career paths that are better suited for an Interdisciplinary B.S degree?

An Interdisciplinary B.S degree can lead to various career paths, as it allows students to combine different fields of study. This degree may be beneficial for careers in emerging industries, where a diverse skill set is highly valued. It may also be useful for careers that require a combination of technical and creative skills.

5. Can I still pursue graduate studies with an Interdisciplinary B.S degree?

Yes, an Interdisciplinary B.S degree can prepare students for graduate studies in various fields. However, it is important to research the specific graduate programs and their requirements to ensure that the Interdisciplinary B.S degree aligns with the desired program. Some graduate programs may have specific prerequisites that a student may need to fulfill.