B.Sc. vs B.Eng. - Comparing Canadian University Engineering Options

• Thread starter MFrymus
  • Start date
In summary, a B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) degree is a general degree focusing on theoretical and scientific concepts, while a B.Eng. (Bachelor of Engineering) degree is a professional degree focusing on the practical application of scientific principles in engineering. Both degrees can lead to a career in engineering, but a B.Eng. degree is more suitable for becoming a professional engineer. The curriculum differs between the two degrees, with B.Sc. focusing more on theoretical courses and B.Eng. focusing on practical courses. Both degrees are highly regarded, with a B.Sc. potentially being more prestigious for research and graduate studies while a B.Eng. may hold more weight for professional engineering licensure and accreditation. Both degrees require hard work and dedication
MFrymus
I'm trying to apply to the Canadian Universities for Engineering, but I'm seeing there are both B.Sc and B.Eng options. I've googled and googled. With mixed reviews and no solid answers! Its frustrating me.

What is the difference between B.Sc. and a B.Eng.?

I'm not a theoretical person. More practical.
Which is the better choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
BSC focuses more on theories and principles, while BEng focuses more on practical application. Picking a better choice I would say depends on what a demand is for. Are more companies looking for people who finished with BSC or BEng?

1. What is the difference between a B.Sc. and a B.Eng. degree?

A B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) degree is a general degree that focuses on theoretical and scientific concepts. It is typically offered in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics. On the other hand, a B.Eng. (Bachelor of Engineering) degree is a professional degree that focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design, develop, and maintain engineering systems. It is offered in specialized fields such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering.

2. Which degree is more suitable for a career in engineering?

Both a B.Sc. and a B.Eng. degree can lead to a career in engineering, but a B.Eng. degree is more suitable for those who want to become professional engineers. This degree provides a more practical and hands-on approach to learning and prepares students for the technical and practical aspects of engineering jobs. A B.Sc. degree may be more suitable for those who are interested in research or pursuing graduate studies in engineering.

3. Are there any differences in the curriculum between a B.Sc. and a B.Eng. degree?

Yes, there are differences in the curriculum between the two degrees. A B.Sc. degree typically includes more theoretical and scientific courses, while a B.Eng. degree includes more hands-on and practical courses. B.Sc. students may also have more flexibility in choosing their courses, while B.Eng. students have a prescribed set of courses that are required for accreditation by professional engineering organizations.

4. Is one degree more prestigious than the other?

Both a B.Sc. and a B.Eng. degree are highly regarded and can lead to successful careers in engineering. It ultimately depends on the individual's goals and interests. If one is interested in research or pursuing a graduate degree, a B.Sc. degree may be more prestigious. However, if one wants to become a professional engineer, a B.Eng. degree may hold more weight as it is required for licensure and accreditation by professional engineering organizations.

5. Which degree is more difficult to obtain?

Both degrees require a significant amount of hard work and dedication. A B.Sc. degree may be more challenging for those who struggle with theoretical concepts and prefer hands-on learning. On the other hand, a B.Eng. degree may be more difficult for those who struggle with math and science concepts. It is important to choose a degree that aligns with one's strengths and interests to achieve success.