Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B value for water in osilations

1. Sep 5, 2003 #1
    I was just wondering if anybody knew the b value of water, when it is concered with damped isolations, any input would be great thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would help if you shared the meaning of b.
  4. Sep 6, 2003 #3
    replay to meaning of b

the value "b" refers to the costant that a subsatnce would have when damping an osolation. Such as when a device is a attached to a spring, (with the attached device placed in a sunbstance) and the attached device is put in honey the honey would dampen the vibrations more then say if the attached device was placed in water. Therefore the b value is the value refering to the damping constant of the substance used. And it is the b value for water that I am wondering.
  5. Sep 6, 2003 #4
    η=ρvλ/3, where:
    ρ is the density
  6. Sep 8, 2003 #5
    b = damping constant

The damping constant of water changes with tempature.
    You can figure it out if you have the mass of the object(m), the spring constant(k), and the angular velocity(w).

A Lab on Damped Oscillation

Hope this helps you.

7. Sep 9, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe that you will find that you cannot specify a single damping coefficient for water. It is much more complex then that, the damping coefficient will be dependent upon the entire dynamical system. Generally this parameter will have to be extracted from your data, not a reference book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?