Transferring to UC Berkeley: BA vs BS in Physics/Astrophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in physics or astrophysics at UC Berkeley. It is mentioned that if the school only offers one degree, there is no difference between them and usually the BA is less rigorous. The question of whether this difference will affect job applications or grad school is also brought up, but it is noted that anyone knowledgeable will know that only one degree is offered. The conversation also touches on the tradition of some prestigious universities offering only BAs in physics and the use of different degree abbreviations like SB or AB. The conversation ends with a humorous exchange about the abbreviation BS.
renob
I'm planning on transferring into UC Berkeley for either physics or astrophysics. They don't offer a BS for either of these, only BA. Is there a big difference between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the school only offers 1, there's no difference between them. (How could there be?) If they offer both, usually the BA is less rigorous.

Vanadium 50 said:
If the school only offers 1, there's no difference between them. (How could there be?) If they offer both, usually the BA is less rigorous.

What I meant was does it make a big difference after you get your BA? Like when you are looking for work or applying to grad school.

Anyone who knows anything will know that only one degree is offered. Don't sweat it.

Somehow, I think you'll do OK with a BA from UC Berkeley...

If it's the only programme, it's just tradition. Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton all offer only BAs in physics. I suppose if tradition is really followed, then Princeton offers ABs not BAs. Just like MIT offers SBs not BSs - I think they even call their music degrees SBs!

Sounds like a bunch of BS! ;-)

lubuntu said:
Sounds like a bunch of BS! ;-)

I've always thought so! :smile:

1. What is the difference between a BA and BS in Physics/Astrophysics at UC Berkeley?

A BA (Bachelor of Arts) in Physics/Astrophysics at UC Berkeley focuses more on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of the subject, with a broader range of courses in the humanities and social sciences. On the other hand, a BS (Bachelor of Science) in Physics/Astrophysics is more specialized and emphasizes the application of scientific principles in the field, with a heavier course load in math and science courses.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in research or academia?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, a BS in Physics/Astrophysics would be a better option. It provides a more rigorous and in-depth education in the subject, which is important for success in these fields.

3. Can I switch between a BA and BS in Physics/Astrophysics during my time at UC Berkeley?

Yes, it is possible to switch between a BA and BS in Physics/Astrophysics during your time at UC Berkeley. However, it is important to note that there may be specific requirements and procedures for each degree program, so it's best to consult with your academic advisor before making the switch.

4. Will a BA or BS in Physics/Astrophysics impact my chances of getting into graduate school?

Graduate schools typically look at a variety of factors when considering applicants, so having a BA or BS in Physics/Astrophysics will not greatly impact your chances. However, if you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in a more specialized and technical field, a BS would be a more advantageous choice.

5. Are the job opportunities different for BA and BS graduates in Physics/Astrophysics?

The job opportunities for BA and BS graduates in Physics/Astrophysics are generally similar, as both degrees provide a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, BS graduates may have an advantage in more technical and scientific roles, while BA graduates may have an advantage in roles that require strong communication and writing skills.