1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BA in Physics

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    This will be somewhat unorganized as I am really just fishing for information at this stage. I currently have a BA in Chemistry, with a minor in math, but would really like to add a physics degree to this. Simple enough so far, the issue is, I would like to take online courses as much as possible, as I have a family, a mortgage payment, and a full-time job as a chemist currently. Fishing some online degree programs in the field, it seems that most places do not want to grant a degree if you already have a BA. If anyone has any advice for a good online program, a website to go to/phone to call I would appreciate a bit of direction. The college I attended (Dana College) only has 1 year of physics(which I took). I have gone through Calc 1-3, Discreet math, and Differential equations. Again any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2009 #2
    I don't have any answers to your specific questions but.. have you considered pursuing more math courses (and yes I am biased because I majored in math)? I glanced at the site for the college you posted and they have a math program, which means they have upper year math courses, computer labs, and all that stuff. You could try some courses in pure math like Analysis, Group Theory, etc or some more applied stuff like Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Physics, etc while taking online physics courses (and though you are probably comfortable in a lab since you're a Chemist, you're probably going to need to take some lab courses too)
    hope that helps
    pce

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    I actually forgot to list one... I did take Intro to analysis; (400 level course at Dana) and I do love math, my thoughts are that since physics is really a math heavy discipline I could add two majors for my BA, both mathematics and physics, and then decide whether to pursue math or physics at a higher level. Either way I'm going to have to rely heavily on online courses because of my job.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4
    Since you already have a BS, you may want to instead look into a Master's degree. Some Master's programs offer coursework primarily in either the morning, or in the evening, which would make it easier to work around a family schedule. This often tends to be the case more if the program is designed for a terminal masters, in some applied area of the field (for instance Optics, Chemical Physics, Medical Physics, etc.)... and these programs are often open to students with undergraduate majors in related fields (not just physics).

All this, of course, probably depends on your proximity to such a program. Nowadays it's particularly difficult to move, especially when you have a mortgage. I think I'm of the general consensus here when I recommend a physical program over an online program. There's some other threads about online programs here if you do a search.

To this end, however, you may want to consider WHY you want a physics degree. Personal fulfillment is an ok reason to make you pursue things, but in the end I've found the results of similar drives to be less than edifying. If you have satisfaction in your current employment, perhaps just a course or two at a local university will be sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook