Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baby Elephant - Cern

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1

jal

After CERN has finished analyzing the data we will end up with the birth of a baby elephant.
    We need to give it a name.
    Here is my entry (a S-imple compromise)
    This baby will be
    A S-imple S-symmetrically S-tructured S-pacetime
    which has a Quantum Minimum length S-tructure which has been identified by
    S-POT” S-tring theories, by S-particles, by S-pin networks, S-queeze, S-hot noise, and
    by S-ides of tetras in quantum geometry.
    It incorporates S-pheres, S-pherical harmonics, S-ymmetry groups, S-calar fields, S-USY, S-upersymmetry,
    S-chroedinger equation, S-chwarzschild radius, S-pace and the S-tandard Model [SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)].

I propose the S-MODEL
    because S-he will be a real S-hape-S-hifter.

The most popular proposal will win.
    This is a democratic voting system.
    The number of hits on this thread will determine the number of votes for the proposed name.

Comments and suggestions will be incorporated into the proposed name.
    Everyone will win.
    ----------

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2
    Did you hear about the big explosion at CERN?
    Americans must improuve calculation: they were wrong in some calculation about magnets inside LHC, so they explosed few days ago... LHC will be in late of a lot of months more!

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3

jal

Hi francesca!
    I reported it in a thread .... as an opportunity for everyone to polish up their theory.
    jal

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4

jal

We need a consortium to act as the midwife.
    hint.... contact CERN ... see if they are interested.
    They could even offer a prize.
    I'd like to get some autographed pictures.:rofl:
    jal

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why the reference to Americans improving calculation? There was nothing said about Americans in the part you posted.

7. Apr 13, 2007 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Fermilab was responsible for the engineering (support and containment of the magnets)
    Fermilab has some pressrelease stuff posted about the failure. There apparently was an obvious structural design flaw that went unnoticed.
    A mechanical engineering error that simply should not have passed inspection.
    An early statement from Fermilab:
    http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/20070329_page01.html
    Updates:
    http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/20070403_page01.html
    http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive_2007/today07-04-03.html

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. Apr 14, 2007 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

They failed to consider asymmetric loading. It like a design concept oversight. Apparently the equipment was built to specifications, but the specifications did not adequately consider the application.

9. Apr 14, 2007 #8
    It appears Itzhak Bars (USC) beat us to the punch in 1996 with his 13D S-theory.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  10. Apr 14, 2007 #9

Kea

Yes, CERN are a natural choice to manage this. But as kneemo says, S-theory doesn't quite cut it. Why not call it Elephant Theory?

:smile:

11. Apr 14, 2007 #10

jal

Don't be so pessemistic. He would be the biggest supporter with his S-theory.
    He is also waiting for CERN data. However, I suspect that he would like to see the landscape covered with particles.

Kea
    ....Elephant Theory? Do you think anyone would notice as they walk by?:rofl:

jal

12. Apr 15, 2007 #11
    The standard motivation for M-theory is the identity

528 = 11 + 66 + 462,

where 528 = 32*(32+1)/2, 55 = 11 choose 2, and 462 = 11 choose 5. The 2 and 5 here is the reason for 2-branes and 5-branes. However, we alternatively have the identity

528 = 66 + 924/2,

where 66 = 12 choose 2 and 924 = 12 choose 6. The first term gives 2 times (2-time theory) and the second 6-branes.

13. Apr 19, 2007 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That is too weird to be dismissed as a coincidence, TL. It sounds cranky to me but, but, no errors are apparent. I will probably have disturbing dreams about this - think of it as perturbative dreaming . . .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  14. Apr 19, 2007 #13

jal

Staying closer to reality

http://www.arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0704/0704.2276v1.pdf
    Title: Physics Beyond the Standard Model and Dark Matter
    Authors: Hitoshi Murayama
    Comments: Lectures at Les Houches Summer School, Session 86, Particle Physics and Cosmology: the Fabric of Spacetime, July 31- August 25, 2006
    18 April 2007

Hitoshi Murayama has proposed naming all the particles after somebody's uncle.:rofl:

15. Apr 30, 2007 #14

jal

Marcus... you asked me what kind of info can be obtained from doing a search with google image... Here is what I got from CDT .... an elephant!!!
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~xren/research/cdtgraph/
    A Scale-Invariant Image Representation: the CDT Graph
    jal:smile: :smile:

16. May 23, 2007 #15

jal

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0705.0431
    Title: Phenomenology of the nMSSM from colliders to cosmology
    Authors: C. Balazs, M. Carena, A. Freitas, C.E.M. Wagner
    (Submitted on 3 May 2007)
    The Next-to-Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (NMSSM)
    Note: The minimum length structure is showing up. (I like 24)
    At the end of the day, it’s going to fit into and be part of a structured spacetime at 10^-16 to 10^-18.
    He is giving standard names (spaticles) to the “plaquettes” and the configurations of a structured model. Everything has got to be put together into a model from which dynamics can be simulated.
    There will be a baby elephant.
    There will need to be a reorganization of the nominclatures.
    jal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?