1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baby Got Back

1. Mar 26, 2003 #1
    Why do we (straight men) find curvy women so attractive? What is the evolutionary advantage of having the desire to mate with a woman who has T & A?

eNtRopY

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

What you're lookin' at there is stored fat. Makes her more likely to survive the lean times. On a man, it would impede hunting, but for gathering, it poses no serious problems (assuming, of course, that the old thinking about "male=hunter, female=gatherer" is correct).

4. Mar 27, 2003 #3
    I couldn't really comment to much about the size of breasts or booty and their evolutionary advantages (besides what Lurch said about fat deposits.)

However, I believe female curvature has been studied with respect to the hips and waist specifically. There seem to be evolutionary advantages of mating with a woman with large hips - she's more likely to be able to carry the baby to term, less likely to need a C-Section, things of that nature. There is also some correlation between birth weight and intelligence though it hasn't been proven.

I believe one of the positive things about a smaller waste is that women who carry weight on their mid-region tend to be more at risk for heart problems among other things although I can't be very specific because it's been a while since I read about all of this.

5. Mar 27, 2003 #4
    Actually, no such correlation can be made, at least not to the extent many here want. The waist-hip ratio (about .7, golden ratio strikes again!) is what, through current studies, has been shown to have cross-cultural significance. The difference is that even with that ratio and consistency in face symmetry generally being preferred, there is a WIDE range of what is considered attractive. Ratios and symmetry can produce a myriad of attractive types - there really is no extra-cultural attractive person. So, although the ratios stay generally consistent, we can't computer generate or find on the street a person who would be attractive in multiple cultures. Anyways, many very thin women can have the right ratios, women no man would say has "T&A", and guess what? In many major demographics these women are attractive. Take Penelope Cruz , she doesn't have what could be considred T&A, but I would bang the hell of that girl. Many males (and females for that matter) would agree with me. Now, she doesn't have T&A, but she does have nice hips, I am sure she is close to the ratio.

So, anyways, one cannot make a correlation between "T&A" getting a lot of men aroused and evolution (not in the meaning that some on this thread stretch). In that we have not been programed to like T&A, there does seem to be a "program" for the ratio of hips to waist (I wouldn't really go this far - the ratio appears in many areas of the body as well as art and archetecture meaning the program is a much more general and broad quirk of perception). What biology - not evolution in my opinion, as I really do not see a way to show selection pressure for such genes in a specific time frame with physical evidence - can account for is something nonetheless amazing - the type of body men who like T&A will find attractive. After all, Oprah has T&A, just very bad T&A. Now many would say that this is not amazing - the Greeks could do much the same. This is true if one is of the impression that we have finally got "in-touch with reality" - however it misses the pragmatic force of our, granted, analogous explanation. We have become coherent in talking about biology while abandoning any mysticism - in the sense that our picture is related to much more "tangible" and "useable" ideas. Simply put, really what distinguishes our knowledge of T&A and the Greeks' is that our knowledge is related to a coherent, complex system of the human body. This doesn't "tell us anymore" about T&A really - it just shows that we have much more intellectual use of T&A, way beyond pure aesthetics and mathematical metaphysics. Isn't this a great world we live in? A world where T&A has intellectual significance?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?