Baby - it's hot outside

1. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,044
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Would you like the 105 F we had yesterday? I'll trade.

2. jcsd
  3. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Re: Baby it's cold outside

Well, our backyard thermometer got up to 90 F (32 C) before dropping back to around 87 F (30.5 C). Still, it's a lot colder here than Venus or Mercury.

4. Borek

Can't we settle for average?

5. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

73F and going up to 77. A beautiful day here.

Anything over 80F is too hot for me.

6. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,044
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Perfect. You've got a deal.

7. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

It's 91+ here in the shade, with oppressive humidity. It was all I could do to take Duke out for walks so he could "do his duty". These last few summers have been killers.

I used to run and troubleshoot paper machines and boilers (really hot places!) and thought that I could handle any kind of heat and humidity, but respiratory problems have knocked that idea into a cocked hat. By 9am, the temperature was already 80+ and climbing. Our garden is doing OK, but my capacity for gardening and yard-work is heavily compromised by this weather. Heat-stroke is insidious and not fun at all.

8. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,044
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

We had a heat index of 117°F yesterday and it was impossible to spend more than 5 minutes before your cloths are soaked. Now at 101°F the index is "only" 106°F.

9. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I won't move near you, Don!!! Maine is bad enough these last few summers.

10. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,044
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

It has it's advantages. Like just now.

On my swing-set shed, with sloped sides, for rain gutters, I cut a 3"diam. pvc pipe lengthwise and worked it in under the bottom. To get a good seal I used a roofing tar (which I left in the sun) which I could have pored in on end and let it flow to the other end. But I used a 1"brush and it was like melted butter.

11. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Last night, the local news guy said "If you hated today's heat and humidity, you're REALLY going to hate tomorrow's weather." He was right. The heavy rains last night just gave the Sun more fuel to drive up the humidity. Poor Duke is losing out on his 4-wheeler rides and play-time because I just can't stand the heat and humidity.

Might have to move to northern Ontario soon. :cry:

Edit: can I be a dental-floss tycoon up there? Are there pygmy ponies? I can find the tweezers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  12. Evo

We're supposed to have a thunderstorm today and the temp is supposed to drop 20 degrees. of course the storm was goping to be at 1pm, then 2pm, then 3pm, now the storm is still at 3, but no temperature change.

Yesterday they said it was sunny and clear, so I walked outside with the fruit bat and it started pouring.

13. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Can't trust the weather-reports here because things change so fast. You'd think that the forecasters in KS would be able to see stuff coming...

Last week's microburst cost my neighbor a couple of large maple trees, an ash tree, and the top of his pear tree. It missed my property, but he and his daughter say that straw mulch on the garden and wood-shavings from around the berry-bushes were getting sucked up into the air and strewn all around. I don't want to live in tornado alley, but the alley might be moving here.

14. Evo

Good grief.

A big tree right in back of my place broke in half during a storm a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a gap where the sun isn't blocked. :frown:

15. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Where's that blinking-sun smilie when I need it? Let's move over to chat. Mkay?

16. Evo

NOOO, not the SHOCK!!!

17. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Ack! Quick! Make lots of posts now!

18. Evo

Ok, this morning weather.com sid thunderstorms starting at 1pm continuing all afternoon.

Now not until 8pm. Seriously, they can't can't predict today's weather?

19. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Seriously, why do forecasters in KS have such trouble? The terrain is open and flat. You could see trouble coming for 100's of miles with decent radar and satellite imagery.

20. Evo

You'd think!

They are always wrong, it can be pouring down outside and go on their website and it will say sunny and clear. :uhh:

21. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

At least Maine forecasters have some viable excuses. Arctic highs sweeping in meeting Southern flows sweeping up from the gulf and getting trapped along with moist cool air from over the ocean. Things can get tricky here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?