Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

In summary, yesterday was hot and muggy with oppressive humidity, and today is looking like it will be just as bad.

Evo said:
It gets much hotter where you are, we still haven't gotten above 99 here yet this month, today is only the 2nd day it's gotten to 99, but they say tomorrow it can get to 100.

I'm ready for the heat wave to stop.

We hit 102 this afternoon. Did anyone else's furnace control develop a programming problem and activate the heat overnight?

Physics news on Phys.org
I split the posts about hot weather into this thread.

It seemed a bit incongruous to discuss hot weather in a cold weather thread.

Anyway - the high temperatures are supposed to be the new norm.

The NWS weather map shows an Excessive Heat Warning in kind of a purple or burgundy colour.

We had high temperatures 95F, with a heat index over 100F, and an air quality alert because of the air we get from New Jersey and New York City metropolitan area.

Attachments

• us-weathermap-july20-2011.png
    us-weathermap-july20-2011.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 371
I have a pretty nice AC unit. It can barely keep the house under 76 tonight, and the compressor is running continuously. Is there no climate change? It would be hard to convince me.

Astronuc said:
Anyway - the high temperatures are supposed to be the new norm.
The weather service says that the heat dome will last 7- 10 days then go back to normal. Where are you reading that this is the new norm and not a special heat inversion like they've reported. [/QUOTE]

Evo said:
The weather service says that the heat dome will last 7- 10 days then go back to normal. Where are you reading that this is the new norm and not a special heat inversion like they've reported.
I heard it on the radio. I think it was NPR.

Astronuc said:
I heard it on the radio. I think it was NPR.
Oh, well, we can ignore that, no one from the weather service has mentioned anything. :smile: We get these occasionally. We're not even near record highs. And don't forget the pacific NW, they're nice and cool. Shakes fist at the Pacific NW PF'ers!

Poor Evo Child, their a/c at work broke down and they didn't let them go home and now she feels sick.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Oh, well, we can ignore that, no one from the weather service has mentioned anything. :smile: We get these occasionally. We're not even near record highs. And don't forget the pacific NW, they're nice and cool.

I've been waiting all day to hear something about global warming - this is the closest (and it was NPR). The argument certainly has sturdier legs today than when we're experiencing a deep freeze - IMO.

WhoWee said:
I've been waiting all day to hear something about global warming - this is the closest (and it was NPR). The argument certainly has sturdier legs today than when we're experiencing a deep freeze - IMO.
Yeah, I think we should ban astro for trying to bring up a banned topic.:biggrin:

I was impressed that the media was reporting the weather for what it was, the weather.

Evo said:
Oh, well, we can ignore that, no one from the weather service has mentioned anything. :smile: We get these occasionally. We're not even near record highs. And don't forget the pacific NW, they're nice and cool. Shakes fist at the Pacific NW PF'ers!

Poor Evo Child, their a/c at work broke down and they didn't let them go home and now she feels sick.
We have a friend from way back who tried to save money and not use a/c. She lives in Houston. Apparently she routinely got overheated to the point of being sick - probably mild heat stroke. She now has dementia or Alzheimers, and she's only in her late 50's. :frown:

Astronuc said:
We have a friend from way back who tried to save money and not use a/c. She lives in Houston. Apparently she routinely got overheated to the point of being sick - probably mild heat stroke. She now has dementia or Alzheimers, and she's only in her late 50's. :frown:
Someone needs to make sure that she keeps her A/C on, the humidity in Houston is what's really bad.

Friends of my mother's had an older house that had a whole house attic fan, that along with a dehumidifier worked quite well, although it was warmer than I liked. When they turned on that fan the air seemed to get sucked from everywhere, felt great and I loved the sound. They still had window a/c for the hot days.

Evo said:
Yeah, I think we should ban astro for trying to bring up a banned topic.:biggrin:

I was impressed that the media was reporting the weather for what it was, the weather.
I didn't mention the g-word. I only indicated I heard it from NPR, but I don't know from where they heard it.

I'm waiting for about 4-5 years before I call a trend.

Evo said:
Someone needs to make sure that she keeps her A/C on, the humidity in Houston is what's really bad.
Heck - my back yard reminds me of Houston. Our humidity is really bad, as is the air quality - ozone + smog.

BTW - I used to work iron in Houston / Galveston / Baytown during summers, when the temperatures were 95-105F, and the iron was 130+F. And I occassionally used a cutting torch for field modifications. My weight would fluctuate about 5lbs during the day from water loss and metabolism. We drank copious amounts of Gatorade.

I loved every minute of it!

Out in remote areas, I used to strip down to my undershorts. :biggrin:

After work, I'd go home, run 3-5 miles, ending with a 1/4-mile sprint. Those were the good ol' days.

Last edited:

Astronuc said:
Thanks. I was wondering if the thread should be "Baby it's hot and cold outside".
Evo said:
It gets much hotter where you are, we still haven't gotten above 99 here yet this month, today is only the 2nd day it's gotten to 99, but they say tomorrow it can get to 100.

I'm ready for the heat wave to stop.
With the humidity as high as it is, what's a few degrees? :yuck:

dlgoff said:
Thanks. I was wondering if the thread should be "Baby it's hot and cold outside".

With the humidity as high as it is, what's a few degrees? :yuck:
I think when it's over 100 with high humidity, the air gets thick and hard to breathe.

Astronuc said:

"Baby, there's weather outside"?

turbo-1 said:
I have a pretty nice AC unit. It can barely keep the house under 76 tonight, and the compressor is running continuously. Is there no climate change? It would be hard to convince me.
I installed two window AC units that are high efficient so I wouldn't have to run the old central AC system. But this week, I've been running all three. :$$$$$$:

lisab said:
"Baby, there's weather outside"?
It's all in the enthalpy. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
I installed two window AC units that are high efficient so I wouldn't have to run the old central AC system. But this week, I've been running all three. :$$$$$$:
Just thinking of what my electric bill will look like is making me sick. I'm keeping the thermostat around 75 and have fans blowing directly on me and the Fruit Bat, he can't take the slightest bit of heat.

I'm sure I will have a near death experience when I get the bill.

The absolute worse was one month at my old house $600 for one month! IIRC, that was a severely cold month and I had electric heat.

In Houston, I used to spray water on the roof and south facing wall of the house. The evaporation cooled the house.

Fortunately, we had a magnolia in front of the east side of the house, and an oak tree in front of the west side of the house, and a neighbor's oak tree gave us shade in the afternoon.

Evo said:
Just thinking of what my electric bill will look like is making me sick. I'm keeping the thermostat around 75 and have fans blowing directly on me and the Fruit Bat, he can't take the slightest bit of heat.

One of my window AC units is in the bedroom. At bed time, I crank its thermostat down and spin up a box fan too. I like sleeping under covers.

dlgoff said:
One of my window AC units is in the bedroom. At bed time, I crank its thermostat down and spin up a box fan too. I like sleeping under covers.
I have to sleep cold, or I won't sleep.

Evo said:
Me too, and it's a balance between where and how. I need the AC to survive the heat in the main part of the house, but then there's the the AC unit in the bedroom that I need to try to survive the overnight. Both are on the same circuit (unfortunately) and they can't both be on at the same time. I don't want to pay to have my house re-wired, and have no excess capacity in the breaker-box, anyway, so I have to juggle the cooling manually.

Evo said:

turbo-1 said:
Me too, and it's a balance between where and how

When I'm under the covers and get too warm, I regulate my body temperature (in fine increments) by slipping a leg, a foot, or down to a toe out from under the cover.

Yes, this was the temperature this afternoon in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. That's 113 degrees Fahrenheit for anyone wondering.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 321
Evo said:

I'm sure I will have a near death experience when I get the bill.

The absolute worse was one month at my old house $600 for one month! IIRC, that was a severely cold month and I had electric heat.

The last 2 years I WISH my electric bill was $600 in the summer - central a/c, 7 tv's/cable boxes, electric stove, 4+ computers, washing machine @ 2+ loads/day and equal dryer runs, 6-7 ceiling fans, swimming pool filter, 2 refrigerators, sandwich cooler, 2 freezers, beer cooler, Pepsi bottle cooler, deck lights, security lights, 14 chargers (I counted), an average of 6 light bulbs ALWAYS ON (again I counted), garage door opener, toaster and toaster oven, 2 microwaves, 2 commercial blender, commercial ice machine, soft serve ice cream machine, smoothie machine, snow cone machine, (weekends only) cotton candy machine, carbonator pump for Coke machine, filter machine for fryer, electric fryer, commercial hood fan, attic fAN, 2 car hp wash pumps, air compressor for 5 lp car wash pumps and cw vacs (plus central vac sys), elephant ear/donut/beignet fryer, plus a whole lot of stereos and other things...forgot the "Texas toast machine, the gyro machines and the commercial electric rotisserie oven/warmer

There you go. Those chargers (for phones, etc) will eat you up every time.

Another way of keeping cool at night, get yourself a water bed. great for sore backs but you can also set the thermostat low brrr.

Another nasty day here. It's already 93 in the shade with humidity around 80%. Just taking Duke out for a little walk is taxing.

I jumped in the pool last night to cool off. The air temp was 90 and the water was 88 - not very cooling - then difficult to dry off.:rofl:

The good news is I just saw a leaf move - could a breeze be possible next?

Luckily, the end has started, lower temperatures have begun in the north central US, currently only 71 in Chicago. It's 95 here.

We're not forecast to get "normal" temperatures until Sunday at best. Until then we'll live under heat advisories and ozone alerts.

I was just on the phone with an associate in New York when the news reported 102 in NYC - a new record for the day! My associate laughed and said he saw a few young men cooking hot dogs on a baking sheet (on the sidewalk) at lunch time. He said the buns were warmed in their bag.

My brother-in-law just dropped into pick up our spare floor-model air-conditioner to take to our mother-in-law's house. Her house is poorly insulated and the heat and humidity are brutal. Currently 96 degrees in the shade. Correction. I had to answer the door, and it is now 97 and climbing.

I briefly stuck my head out for a moment from an a/c office and it feels like 100 degrees F with about 80% humidity, no wind, dead calm, I tried to take a couple deep breaths for full effect and came to this conclusion. IT IS PLAIN NASTY... Indoor projects only today.

Rhody ... :yuck: :grumpy: