Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baby Mammoth Discovered

1. Jul 10, 2007 #1

Staff: Mentor

Since previous articles on Mammoths were posted here due to the DNA/cloning issue I thought I'd put it here (see even mentors aren't always sure where to put things).

I thought this was very cool. This might give us a good DNA sample.

Baby mammoth discovery unveiled

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2007 #2
    if someone can answer this please do,
    How on earth do scientists get DNA from the frozen carcass, wouldnt all the cells in the body have died by now?
  4. Jul 12, 2007 #3
    A cell doesn't need to be alive to extract DNA. The DNA just needs to be intact and decently preserved. Even if it was partially degraded, I would assume you could still do a shotgun assembly to rebuild and retrieve the original sequence.
  5. Jul 12, 2007 #4

Gold Member

This was quite the discovery!

It fits with the Biology forum but it will also have implications (according to the article) to do with the climate of that period. Really quite the "perfect specimen". Poor little mammoth. Don't they need a consent form signed by the baby or the mother to collect DNA? This may infer the wrath of the Ghost Mammoths. They never forget.:eek:
  6. Jul 12, 2007 #5
    Thats is really something special. Even at 100,000 yrs old, its still cute too!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?